Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking at one for $150. It has rust in all the usual places, plus the rear lip of the back hatch. ABS, airbags, cruise, Factory CD, 5spd, 2.2L NA. Runs great, 191k miles. The rust is a PITA, but fixable. The rear hatch latch is broken, so I'll have to wongleflute around with that. "Needs front end work", he said. I'll be taking it for a test drive soon, need to put air in the tires. A touring wagon would be nice, the high roof gives extra space for fitting big clay sculptures in. It also has the gold alloy lace style rims on it.

Should I fall for it?

It has the 3" higher roof and the longer rear hatch. I just label that a touring wagon because the EA82's that had the raised roofs were that.

I didn't even bother to look at the badging on the back.

I'm going to drive it the mile and a half home, throw it over my pit, and give it a good looking over underneath.

I have a 1992 legacy L parts car, sans engine+wiring, so pretty much everything on the car can get swapped out.

The rust is all the way through the 1/4 panel by the turn signal up front, and all the way through the bottom of the hatch, up about 1/2 is gone in the middle of the hatch. The rear 1/4's are eaten right behind the wheel, same spot as they all are. Fixable in all I think, but it won't be pretty. It is a nice deep blue with all body inc. handles matching. dark blue interior too.

It all pivots on the title.

First off it's a BF not a BJ.

The Items that I am after are a drivers door handle and a driver's side, side skirt. In 94 the door handles were painted to match the bodies paint color and deep sapphire pearl is not a common color; only GT LS and LSI came in that color in 94.

WTF? What do the Bx Stand for? The driver's door handle is kinda sticky, but the side moldings look good. I'll keep that in mind if the project goes south.

I'm hoping to get another 50k out of the car, think it's possible?

It's the chassis code. The first gen legacy sedans have a chassis code of BC. The normal wagons are BJ, and the raised roof wagons are BF.

Ahh OK. I've given him a day to find the title, so I'll check in tomorrow. My scale of rust repair is much different than most other peoples. I run subaru's in new hampshire, where you can actually watch them rust. The repairs will be difficult but doable, rear quarters the worst, as both the quarter and the wheel well are rusted through. Nothing some sheet metal and rivets can't fix though.