Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I’m curious about how you guys that know something torque your head bolts for a ‘95 2.2. ( I apologize, I still don’t have a handle on the EJ22 numbers). Anyhow, I did a search but couldn’t find the basic info. My Haynes manual has me tighten them, then back them off to nothing, but then it says go to 25 Ft lb, then 132 In lb (which is 11 ft lb by my math....??) then 90 degrees then 90 degrees again. This makes not a lot of sense to me. :-\ And it never gives me a final torque value .

So, any chance someone can straighten me out on this? Many thanks in advance.

kudd

I’m curious about how you guys that know something torque your head bolts for a ‘95 2.2. ( I apologize, I still don’t have a handle on the EJ22 numbers). Anyhow, I did a search but couldn’t find the basic info. My Haynes manual has me tighten them, then back them off to nothing, but then it says go to 25 Ft lb, then 132 In lb (which is 11 ft lb by my math....??) then 90 degrees then 90 degrees again. This makes not a lot of sense to me. :-\ And it never gives me a final torque value .

So, any chance someone can straighten me out on this? Many thanks in advance.

kudd

Your haynes manual sounds correct, except for the crazyness of switching from ftlbs to inlbs. As for the final torque there is none. These are what's called torque to yeild. You torque the bolt to a specific value, and then stretch the bolt by turning it a specific rotation. This is supposed to eliminate the need to retourqe after the motor has been heat cycled a few time.

I've only had experiance with the sequence on the 2.5 DOHC, so I can't say your manual is absolutely correct, but it sounds close. Somobody else will surely step up and fill you in.

Keith

Thx for the input, Keith. The thing that's weird in the book is it doesn't say to back off to 132 in lbs.... it lists it as if it's greater than the 25 ft lbs it just listed.

S'pose I should break down and get a real subie shop manual....

Thx-

kudd

OK, I don't know why no one else has stepped up to the plate, but I'm back to help you out. The two different torques has to do with the fact that you treat the two inner bolts differently than the outer four. Anyhow, I have a PDF file of the procedure that comes from the 96 Impreza 2.2, which should be identical. Just right click save as on the link below:

http://www.rallyracers.net/MSA5TCD96I17626.pdf

Best of luck.

Keith

Keith is right on. I just did HG's on a 97 DOHC EJ25, and was confused by the torquing procedure as well (which is basically the same as what you listed). The torque is different for the inner and outer bolts, and there is no final "torque value", just turning the bolts 90 degrees in sequence then turning them 90 degrees in sequence again.

At least I hope that's right, because that's what I did!:lol:

Thanks guys, and yep... I was going by memory on those values and sure as shootin' the inner 2 are the 25 and the outer 4 are the 132 in lb (which I converted to 11 ft lb) then the 90 and 90 and I hope life is good!

Now if only it all cures our problems we'll be really happy....

Thanks for your help!!!

kudd