Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all,

I have a 2000 Legacy L with a check engine light that comes on from time to time. I have taken it to the shop and they get a misfire code on thier computers. It is not noticable while driving and it only happens at altitude when the engine is at high RPMs. It is not a cronic issue in the sense that the engine is always misfiring. The light comes on, I get it checked, they reset the light. I can drive it for months without the light coming on and then one day it will come on again.

They tell me it's probably a clogged fuel injector and that they can clean it out for about $90. They told me that adding fuel injector cleaner to the gas won't cut it.

Anyone ever have this issue?

$90 seems pretty reasonable but I am wondering if anyone has a different opinion of what the issue could be?

after reading some other misfire threads I will add this...

The engine has recently been tuned, new plugs, wires, belts, and the misfire is always on the same cylinder.

I would run some fuel inj. cleaner through it anyway, if that dont make it go away I would replace the plug and wire on the cyl. you know is misfireing, but keep the plug and wire to put back if the problem is still their. You can buy one wire from some small town independent auto store and shops.

Hey all,

I have a 2000 Legacy L with a check engine light that comes on from time to time. I have taken it to the shop and they get a misfire code on thier computers. It is not noticable while driving and it only happens at altitude when the engine is at high RPMs. It is not a cronic issue in the sense that the engine is always misfiring. The light comes on, I get it checked, they reset the light. I can drive it for months without the light coming on and then one day it will come on again.

They tell me it's probably a clogged fuel injector and that they can clean it out for about $90. They told me that adding fuel injector cleaner to the gas won't cut it.

Anyone ever have this issue?

$90 seems pretty reasonable but I am wondering if anyone has a different opinion of what the issue could be?

after reading some other misfire threads I will add this...

The engine has recently been tuned, new plugs, wires, belts, and the misfire is always on the same cylinder.

Injectors can tend to clog over time, esp. if you never added any cleaners. I'd run a full bottle of redline SI-1 in a full tank of good gasoline; SI-1 is available at pepboys and autozone to see what happens as that is one sweet cleaner. and/or i'd yank the injectors, not all that hard to do, and send them to somewhere like witchhunterperformance for cleaning; places like that'll replace the little filters in them and stuff and send them back to you in a couple days.

If you don't feel like doing it yourself, $90 at a dealer to run cleaner thru the injectors isn't super outrageous, tho i'd push for some sort of consideration if it doesn't fix the problem.