Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Subaru Legacy Blower relay. Where is it?

I've done a search of the postings to try to find out where the blower motor relay is located on my 1990 Subaru Legacy 4 door. The blower rarely runs. Sometimes when it is cold, it will run. It is not blower speed related, so I narrowed it down to the realy but can't find it. I bought a new relay for $40 so I know the shape of it. Some posts say under the steering wheel,; others say in the A pillar near the glove box. Some say above the fuse box. No luck so far. But hopefully I can find someone with a 90 Legacy who knows the right location before I go digging too far.

I just went thru this with my Legacy. Mine the blower fan switch did not work at all, but when the the blower fan was jumped with a hot wire the fan ran fine. I replaced the relay, now all speeds are fine. The relay is behind the lower part of the dash on the drivers side. The easiest way I found to get to it was remove the cover under the steering wheel, get the computer out of the way, you don't have to disconnect it just take it loose and move it. Once that is moved you will see a hole between the side of the dash and the metal supports. All the way back at the firewall hang three relays in holders. One is the fan relay, mine was the bottom of the three, fuel pump relay and the ignition relay. Pop it out of it's holder and the wires are long enough to pull it out thru the hole and change the relay. It is a real PITA since you can't see it and have to do it all by feel. There are probably other ways of doing this, but this was my first and hopefully the last time.

[...]It is a real PITA since you can't see it and have to do it all by feel.[...]

If you don't want kids learning "new" words, don't have any around when you do this work. Also, a small first-aid kit (or at least some Band-Aids) might come in useful. No, I'm not kidding.

I found three black rectangular objects that looked like relays. They were all the same. They had a relay diagram and 12 v NO in large letters (I assume it means Normally Open). I popped two out and tapped them for a while and put them back in. No change. Trouble is that they looked rectangular (looking from above) while the one I got from the Subaru place looked wider and square. Did he give me the wrong one or am I looking at the wrong thing? I didn't have time to tinker with it further, but will later.

I just went thru this with my Legacy. Mine the blower fan switch did not work at all, but when the the blower fan was jumped with a hot wire the fan ran fine. I replaced the relay, now all speeds are fine. The relay is behind the lower part of the dash on the drivers side. The easiest way I found to get to it was remove the cover under the steering wheel, get the computer out of the way, you don't have to disconnect it just take it loose and move it. Once that is moved you will see a hole between the side of the dash and the metal supports. All the way back at the firewall hang three relays in holders. One is the fan relay, mine was the bottom of the three, fuel pump relay and the ignition relay. Pop it out of it's holder and the wires are long enough to pull it out thru the hole and change the relay. It is a real PITA since you can't see it and have to do it all by feel. There are probably other ways of doing this, but this was my first and hopefully the last time.

I found three black rectangular objects that looked like relays. They were all the same. They had a relay diagram and 12 v NO in large letters (I assume it means Normally Open). I popped two out and tapped them for a while and put them back in. No change. Trouble is that they looked rectangular (looking from above) while the one I got from the Subaru place looked wider and square. Did he give me the wrong one or am I looking at the wrong thing? I didn't have time to tinker with it further, but will later.

I believe that the relay you are looking for is in a group of three (but not necessarily the ones you've already located); according to info I've found, they should be behind the fuse panel, not easy to find, get to, or work on. Info seems to indicate that the connector going to the blower relay is "neutral" in color, which usually means tan-ish.

Your info sounds to be correct OB99W. Here is a post that GizWiz made about his search for the relay. The neutral colored connector should be easy to see.

I have a similar problem on my '91. Thanks to this list, I found my relay behind the panel along the lower edge of the dash, the one containing the little stash box labelled "tray", under the steering wheel. After removing six Philips head screws, the panel dropped off and the relay practically jumped out and said "take me". I swapped the relay with the neutral colored connector with the one that had the colored one, and then my blower came to life (but my fuel pump wouldn't). So now at least I've confirmed the source of the problem.

The part number 056700-5260 stated in earlier posts matches mine, and this seems to describe a 12 volt, 22 amp relay. www.importautoparts.com has them listed as the fuel pump relay, and they're only $12.00.