Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We'll I just checked out this 97 legacy GT with 102k. When I first started it everything sounded good. Went for a tset drive and heard a sound from the engine compartment like knocking or something. Open hood, sounds fine idling, but when you give it alittle gas between 1.5k and 3k rpms it sounds like it's knocking or detonating or ? It' definatly loud and disturbing but goes away at about 3k RPMS.

Just wondering if this sounds like a common problem (easy fix) or should I run away fast. To me it almost sounds like the timing isn't advancing right or something. Anyways we wanted to buy it until we heard that noise. Any insight would be great! Thanks

Jay

If it's only there when the engine is cold, then it's piston slap. Piston slap is not a problem. It is caused by the design of the pistons.

If it's there when it's warm then you could have a bearing issue. Main or Rod Bearings that are heavily worn and that means the engine is on it's last leg. The questions to ask does it use oil, and did it ever have a blown headgasket? If the owner drove the car for an extended period with a blown head gasket then you're in trouble. What happens then is that antifreeze gets into the oil and eats away at those bearings.

Keith

If it's only there when the engine is cold, then it's piston slap. Piston slap is not a problem. It is caused by the design of the pistons.

If it's there when it's warm then you could have a bearing issue. Main or Rod Bearings that are heavily worn and that means the engine is on it's last leg. The questions to ask does it use oil, and did it ever have a blown headgasket? If the owner drove the car for an extended period with a blown head gasket then you're in trouble. What happens then is that antifreeze gets into the oil and eats away at those bearings.

Keith

We'll it was warm after test drive and was still there. Checked the oil and it was new, but appeared to have too much in it! Dealer said that the head-gaskets are good). I guess I'll just keep looking.

possible lifters?

I don't think so it was pretty loud. I really didn't notice it at first start-up, then test drove about 2 miles stop and heard it. Was reving it from under the hood and it was very audible sound from 1.5rpm to about 3krpm then would go away. No sound at idle though. It's to bad it was a nice looking ride.