Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing stock stereo in 05-06 Legacy

When I bought my 06 legacy wagon, one thing that bugged me was the stock stereo was intergrated into the face plate and would not be easy to replace. I wanted to replace it so I could play MP3s as the stock stereo didn't recognize the MP3 format. As long as you have one of the base models that doesn't have intergrated climate controls, you can replace the stock stereo and there are aftermarket face plates. The reason I am posting this is I found that Crutchfield.com includes the faceplate at no extra charge...it was $75 everywhere else. They also included instructions on removing the stock stereo and faceplate which wasn't super simple. I don't know if someone has posted this info already but I thought I would share what I found.

IMG00002.jpg

When I bought my 06 legacy wagon, one thing that bugged me was the stock stereo was intergrated into the face plate and would not be easy to replace. I wanted to replace it so I could play MP3s as the stock stereo didn't recognize the MP3 format. As long as you have one of the base models that doesn't have intergrated climate controls, you can replace the stock stereo and there are aftermarket face plates. The reason I am posting this is I found that Crutchfield.com includes the faceplate at no extra charge...it was $75 everywhere else. They also included instructions on removing the stock stereo and faceplate which wasn't super simple. I don't know if someone has posted this info already but I thought I would share what I found.

IMG00002.jpg

WOHOOO as that was a huge complaint

nipper

Sorry Nipper but this was and still is the problem that we were whining about. This was the downside to the up-models. D-rats!

As long as you have one of the base models that doesn't have intergrated climate controls, you can replace the stock stereo and there are aftermarket face plates.

Is that the lost winning $4 Billion Lottery ticket tucked into the console... imagine a chauffeur driven Subaru!:banana:

indeed, that is the lost ticket. Chauffeur will have to ride in the passenger seat. I love driving way too much to even consider having someone drive me around. I thought about it just the other day and I think I would keep the same car if I did hit the lotto. I can't wait for the first real snow of the year so I can go up to the Mt. Bachelor parking lot and do stupid stuff in my car.

I just bought a kenwood from Crutchfield and it's hard to beat thier customer service. I was working on it about 6 pm CA time and called customer service and there was a guy there who imeadiately had the answer to my problem. I didn't know Kenwoods cut the power to the antenna wire when you switch to cd, so I had no souund on cd. Hooking my amp to the right wire did wonders.

Crutchfield is great. The prices are really good and the fact that they not only carry the dash kit for my car but they give it to you for free and include detailed installation instructions rocks:headbang: (gotta love that icon)

The local shops all told me I was stuck with the stock stereo and that there was no alternative...I knew they were wrong because I had already found the aftermarket faceplate. One of them even told me I was wrong on the existance of such a part. Subarus are the most common car where I live...everyone has one or two. I think our local dealer is in the top 2 or 3 in the nation in sales volume so you would think the stereo shops would clue in to this large potential for stereo sales.