Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suspension Help

Hello everyone and forgive me if this post is in the wrong place and a little long, but I could really do with some suspension help as I have just bought a 86 EA82T station wagon for 200 dollars with 210000 kilometres on it. The thing will never go on the roads, and is used for fun down at the river but goes really well and the 4WD system selects in and out fine both hi and lo. Like I mentioned before, the suspension has had it as the last owner tried to push the poor girl a little far and the struts all round are getting quite poor. Basically from what I have read on these forums, (most) legacy and wrx suspensions will fit the front. So my question to you guys is........ what is the cheapest and strurdiest back shocks that can be gleaned off another car that may give an inch or two more than what was on it before? Cheap is the main aim here. (People seem to want 400 dollars for suspension when you can buy another whole car for half of that amount)Thanks everyone for your help in advance....I have learnt alot after reading over these forums for the past 2 days.

Karl

my understanding is that the stock rear shocks are nothing to shake a stick at... if you can replace them with stock, theres the easy way at least. the front suspension mod is a swap-in from the later model cars, it involves going to five-lug rims as well.. more wheel options. its not as simple as using the struts from a leggy..

at least, that was what I thought.. I figgered id throw you an answer/comment since so many people over here stateside are sleeping right now tho :-p

well, the springs wear over time... but new strut cartirdges for the front, and shocks in the rear, shouldnt cost TOO too much... i must admit ive never priced them, nor would i know how they might be priced down under... You also may well be able to find springs from a different automobile to put in there. search around a bit, its been beaten to death.

The fact is simply, that there are virtually zero (if not literally zero) "aftermarket suspension upgrades" for this car. it IS a subaru from the 1980s.. not a porsche or something :- )

so youre either limited by your own ingenuity in finding a part that will fit (it HAS been done) or swap out the front suspension from the later car.

Its probably not as hard as you might think.. its mostly a matter of, can you commit the vehicle to the swap? it might take a few days, it might take a few weeks before its on the road again. However, if you are willing to take the initiative, and have some tools.. then just about anything can be done on this subaru by you. an engine swap might be pushing it... but these cars have a way of making mechanics out of people, and its not from frequent breakdown.. its from (relative) ease of repair, and simplicity of design.

To do a 5 lug, first you have to find an XT6 that's "partable"..... well just doing that is hard enough so I'll leave it alone.

85/86 rear struts are adjustable for height. You can turn the adjustment (lower spring perch) with a large pair of slip-joint pliers.

Front..... well as mentioned without major mods or the 5 lug you are stuck. The KYB GR2's are good, and relatively cheap. Need a spring compressor for the front to change them. They sell cheap ones, but after using one I can say there is no safe place in all the land, and if you value all your appendages get one of those full-body blast suits the swat guys use for bomb handling.

GD

Need a spring compressor for the front to change them. They sell cheap ones, but after using one I can say there is no safe place in all the land, and if you value all your appendages get one of those full-body blast suits the swat guys use for bomb handling.

GD

??? ive used cheap spring compressors before.. and I mean, yah, its something that has a very definite risk of some potentially EXTREMELY bad things... but ive never had cause to be particularly afraid.

I'm curious as to why you raise an eyebrow at them....

is it possibly because you are a little to used to using the best equipment, on some rather larger springs, or am i missing something here?