Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 Subaru GL-10: Injectors not firing

I recently picked up a GL-10 TurboAWD as a small project. It has been sitting for a while and it looked like that last person that worked on it didnt know what the hell they were doing, they were just blindly throwing parts at it as it appears (AFM's, MAPs, Injectors, Injector resistors, etc) Anyways, the injectors are getting proper voltage to them its just that the ECU isnt grounding them to fire. I'm pulling a code 21 out of the ECU (engine coolant temp) my question is, is this a critical sensor that wont allow the engine to fire? I just wanted to find out before i replace the ECU.

-Brendan

I'm getting fuel pressure, I also put a Noid light on the injector clip and i'm not getting anything. I dont have any testing proceedures to look at for ECU checks, so i may have to bite the bullet and get another ECU; so if anyone has a FSM on hand maybe give me a rundown of what the troubleshooting guide says i should do next. Unfortunetly theres about 20 or so ECUs for just this year and model. I'm open to any more suggestions before i have to pick up another one. Thank you.

i'm not sure if you are aware of the fact that the ecu gets it's signal to fire the injectors from the same place the coil gets it's signal to fire the sparky bolts, but it does. it all runs off the distributor signal so i would check to see if the ignition is working properly before you go replacing the ecu.

just my 2cents

dave

Yes, i should have mentioned in my previous post that the car is getting spark. I've had it running off starting fluid before. So i imagine that the trigger pickup is good. I'm just curious to know if the FSM has any testing procedures for the ECU at this step.

Just about any EA82T ECU should work - as long as it's for the right type of MAF (hot wire or flapper door).

But if you are pulling codes, the ECU is probably ok. They don't usually fail unless someone connected the battery backwards (instant failure).

GD

Well i'm curious to know if the injector drivers somehow failed. Although in an RX-7 ECU when i've seen one driver fail the others are still on board. I'm leaning towards your guy's opinion on this one, but it seems to be the last link.

I recently picked up a GL-10 TurboAWD as a small project. It has been sitting for a while and it looked like that last person that worked on it didnt know what the hell they were doing, they were just blindly throwing parts at it as it appears (AFM's, MAPs, Injectors, Injector resistors, etc) Anyways, the injectors are getting proper voltage to them its just that the ECU isnt grounding them to fire. I'm pulling a code 21 out of the ECU (engine coolant temp) my question is, is this a critical sensor that wont allow the engine to fire? I just wanted to find out before i replace the ECU.

-Brendan

I have an 86 EA82t ECU for $40 shipped, PM me if interested.

how long has the car sat ? i have seen several EA engines with dead injectors and yes ALL 4 and ALL 6 on an XT6 change one injector and try to start the car if it fires at all its got dead injectors i dont know what causes it to happen but i had a 86 turbo car that one day miss fired on one side then i changed the ingector , and a day later the one right next to it dyed and i changed it and its 5 years later and still good !

I also changed an XT6 engine with one i had sitting for 3years and and tryed to start it but all 6 injectors would not fire so swaping all of them out from the orignal engine fixed it , they could have stuck from sitting with bad gas and would not free up ?

Ok, OK, $35 shipped...? It's already boxed up because I had it on ebay, they killed my auction because they said I was spamming. I only had 820 keywords on the auction! haha

As long as it will work for my motor i'll take it. I'm curious though, it was flashing a code 22 at me while cranking (2 long light pulses followed by 2 short ones), looks like a knock sensor circut problem. Also someone said that it picks up the trigger from the same place the spark does. I'm wondering if theres a good way to test to make sure that the ECU is getting the trigger signal.

Alright, i got to work on it a bit today, i was testing to make sure there was no resistance/open in the wires from the ECU to the injectors and sure enough, they had an open. I followed the harness down a bit and tackled it down to the big harness connecter by the battery. I pulled it apart and cleaned it out, now i'm getting a good signal on the noid light. Looks like i'm back in business. If this pesky fuel pump wasnt holding me up i could have had it started by now.

if you do a search through the archives (go to search, and click advanced search, its mush easier to use and you get better results) and look for ford fuel pump, you can find information on a very common swap to a very common, inexpensive, and simple to swap in fuel pump.. i dont know the details, but I've read the threads.

If you want, ive got two adobe acrobat files that contain the engine/electrical section of the FSM.. its a chunk that floats around here. i could email them to you.. i downloaded them but i didnt bookmark it, someone here has them on the webpage. not a complete FSM but alot of thorough information, the tough stuff that you need to have data on to fix the FI system etc.... send me a private message with your email address, and let me know if you can take a ten megabyte attachment in your email.. otherwise ill ship one at a time, so to speak..

i got em for free, its very useful data, the least i can do is pass it along.

if you do a search through the archives (go to search, and click advanced search, its mush easier to use and you get better results) and look for ford fuel pump, you can find information on a very common swap to a very common, inexpensive, and simple to swap in fuel pump.. i dont know the details, but I've read the threads.

If you want, ive got two adobe acrobat files that contain the engine/electrical section of the FSM.. its a chunk that floats around here. i could email them to you.. i downloaded them but i didnt bookmark it, someone here has them on the webpage. not a complete FSM but alot of thorough information, the tough stuff that you need to have data on to fix the FI system etc.... send me a private message with your email address, and let me know if you can take a ten megabyte attachment in your email.. otherwise ill ship one at a time, so to speak..

i got em for free, its very useful data, the least i can do is pass it along.

Yes, please send them this way, bcool@cableone.net it would be very much appreciated. After having a full FSM for my RX-7 going back to Chiltons manual is like reading a kids book, its the only real section i use anyways. I'll take a look into the ford fuel pump setup.

email being sent. incidentally the ford fuel pump is probably a great swap for almost any FI automobile with an expensive pump... its WAY overkill but not in a manner that should cause a problem with a properly maintained fuel system, the pressure regulator just routes excess back to the tank.

the second section includes alot of diagnostics on all the little FI components, too.. they can be exhausting but it never hurts to verify anything you might have cause to question.

Yeah, it shouldnt be too much for this system. Looking at stock FPR's the outlet's are about as small as a pen head. If i had a fuel pressure gauge on hand i wouldnt mind seeing if you make a jump in fuel pressure at idle or not. Above stock pressure could give you a rich condition.

Sweet! The suprises never end, no sooner do i figure out the harness issue i come to find out that 2 or possibly 3 injectors are frozen up. Does anybody know the stock CC's on these bad boys? They look like a typical bosh injector but with a bit of a twist with the rubber sealer ring in the middle. i'm pretty sure i could retrofit a set of standard bosh injectors in there if i can figure out what the stock flow rate on these bad boys are.

I dont know why you'd need to limit yourself to to just 280zx injectors. All i had laying around my house were Denso TurboII injectors out of an RX-7. 550cc's might drown the poor roo haha. I dont want to buy an SAFC for the car yet but I might have to with the injectors i picked up, i have no clue what they are off of, just as long as they're less CC's then what i had i think i'll be okay. I was going to get some 240cc honda injectors but the body is all wrong to transfer all the subaru components over to them. I can always get an SAFC and pull the wideband from my RX-7 and tune it. I'll post some finalized pictures of my injectors tomorrow.

Alas, the roo runs! I'm getting the injector pictures up right now. It runs pretty pig rich and starts stumbling at around the 4K rpm mark while driving. Looks like an SAFC, possibly my rx7 turbo, and a ghetto frontmount setup are in order.

Heres some pictures of the injectors. I stopped by a local speed shop and they had a box o' injectors. I picked through them and found 4 or the same type they charged me 10 dolla. New injectors basicly cost me around 15 dollars total.

Stockers

1.jpg

The new specimens of unknown CC's

2.jpg

1st finalized injector

3.jpg

4.jpg

All 4 almost ready to go.

5.jpg