Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 sube ea82 carb needs a new engine, any upgrades?

hey, i need a new engine for ny 87 wagon, ea82 carb is in it now. one person i work with said that subies came with 2.0 and 2.2 carborated motors, i was wondering if this is true. i dont want to switch to F/I because i am kinna on a time crunch (need it before winter, or at least deep snow) and with a carb to FI swap i would need alot of custom wiring work and there is a possibility that it wount work in the end. anyways, what could i put in place of this engine that is fairly simple and has a nice power upgrade? or if there isnt anything like this, what can i do to this engine during a complete engine rebuild to get a nice power upgrade?

All of the US-market 2.0 and 2.2L (EJ-series) engines were FI. I believe that all 88+ EA82 engines (like yours) were FI. Basically, nothing newer was carb'd. That does not mean that you couldn't convert one to a carburetor, but on the EJ-series that would also imply adding a distributor (they use distributorless ignition), and would probably take as long as doing things "right".

Not much available to upgrade without some significant work. Others will recommend that you switch carburetors from the stock Hitachi to a Weber.