Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT Out of Control!! or.. something like that..

So i just got off the phone, i guess Erin's legacy is having some issues...

it's a 96 Legacy, 2.2L 4eat, about 120k on it i think, she was on the highway, passing someone cranking her up to about 4k rpms, and "then it just shot up to redline"

so then she pulls over, and checks the fluid (the ATF that is) and says it looks fine.

Any ideas... she said it's actually a little over the marker, so perhaps there's too much fluid in there, making things all nice & frothy... then slipping?

she said it did it again when she tried to accelerate after slowing down again... hmm... almost sounds like it's confused about shifting maybe?

suggestions?

ideas?

I was talking with my roommates about it.. maybe a band adjustment is out of wack... shifting from like.. 4th to 2nd would slam the tack to the redline.

And the TPS.. how do you clean that guy? she's got a really dirty engine compartment :-\

I was talking with my roommates about it.. maybe a band adjustment is out of wack... shifting from like.. 4th to 2nd would slam the tack to the redline.

And the TPS.. how do you clean that guy? she's got a really dirty engine compartment :-\

Nah, the brake band usually causes abnormally high shifting points or sloppy or rough shifts. The TPS is on top of the intake, I think. I'm not very familar with that area at least on that side. I would assume it's somewhere close to the throttle cables and throttle body.

So i just got off the phone, i guess Erin's legacy is having some issues...

it's a 96 Legacy, 2.2L 4eat, about 120k on it i think, she was on the highway, passing someone cranking her up to about 4k rpms, and "then it just shot up to redline"

so then she pulls over, and checks the fluid (the ATF that is) and says it looks fine.

Any ideas... she said it's actually a little over the marker, so perhaps there's too much fluid in there, making things all nice & frothy... then slipping?

she said it did it again when she tried to accelerate after slowing down again... hmm... almost sounds like it's confused about shifting maybe?

suggestions?

ideas?

did it miss a shift? did it slip? was she on a hill?

nipper