Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 rx turbo starting problems

my 88 rx im trying to get home starts but only if floored and doesnt idle unless im pressing the gas.today checked the timing belts since it looked like some one replaced them. they were fine. replaced spark plugs and checked fuel filter flow "it was good" .well i searched around didnt find anything but some one talking about flooring it to start and it being a vacume leak. im hoping some one might have some ideas. oh and the other day i let it run for a little bit and i let it die and wouldnt start again even floored but it did sound like it made it difference when i floored it just didnt start. :confused:

88 rx turbo full time 4x4

Did you check for Vac leaks? check the PCV and the brake booster, it sounds big...

if it heats up and runs ok then there are 2 things to check. the MAF and the coolant temp sensor. Check both plugs for corosion and chacke the MAF for wires.... you might even check the TPS connector, but my money is on the CTS personally.

check the CTS for corrossion and green stuff on the contacts. very common.

how old is the ignition stuff...cap, rotor, plugs, wires? ignition wires are all plugged into the right place?

i know on the EA82 (non-turbo), the ones i've worked on would bog down and cut off or idle horribly if the oil cap wasn't on. i noticed on one that i couldn't get to idle that it idled fine every time i leaned into the engine to try and find out what was wrong. turned out i was pressing on the oil cap. there's a rubber seal under neath of that oil cap. i replaced that oil seal under the cap (comes in the head gasket set...never knew what it was until then) and it idled fine.

that's the simple stuff to check. you're positive the timing belts are dead on and installed properly?

well i dunno if you would call me having to use the gas to make it idle and heat up. it doesnt want to start unless i floor it. also i hear clicking around the intake manifold. we were thinking maybe a solinoid. i thought maybe the fuel injectors. i was wondering how i pour some sea foam down it? since it has the whole intake system will it run with it off while i pour it? or should i just pour the whole thing in the gas tank. i should mention it has sat for atleast a year. thanks for the responses:headbang:

well i dunno if you would call me having to use the gas to make it idle and heat up. it doesnt want to start unless i floor it. also i hear clicking around the intake manifold. we were thinking maybe a solinoid. i thought maybe the fuel injectors. i was wondering how i pour some sea foam down it? since it has the whole intake system will it run with it off while i pour it? or should i just pour the whole thing in the gas tank. i should mention it has sat for atleast a year. thanks for the responses:headbang:

corosion and bad gas FTW

well first off dont burn old gas in the engine.

thats not good in and of itself.

there are a couple of different ways to use seafoam, some use it as fuel additive and think it works great. the only method I have ever used it is easy. there are directions on the bottle, but ill post it here anyhow. you take a certain amount (the bottle tells you how to figure it) and have that ready in a small cup. remove a vacuum line that you will be able to use to suck the seafoam out of the cup, and plug it with your thum while someone else starts the engine (already hot i think.) Have them use enough throttle to keep the engine running while you take your thumb of the line and quickly put it into the cup, and suck all the seafoam up. keep throttle on the car, and recap the line with your thumb after a second or so to bring some air in (clear the seafoam out of the line and into the engine) it says for thirty seconds i think. Then let the car sit for five, ten minutes (again on the label.) Then, fire it up and drive around, or free rev it if you want.. but be prepared for MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF SMOKE as you burn through all the crap that the seafoam dissolved thru as it sat.

I have never repeated treatment immediately or shortly after an initial treatment, so i dunno if its worth it to try or not. if anyone has tried that, i would love to hear whether it yielded results.

well after putting some sea foam threw it new premium gas. its much better at high rpms sounds good but no idle. so anyways i decided to pull the plug and do a compression test and #4 has no compression so that would explain alot. im gonna put another head on it with the engine in the car. are there any sugestions to check or fix while i have the drivers side head off. this rx has less the 100,000 miles on too. pretty sweet huh.:clap: