Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need in Bellingham a soobie nut to diagnose my Brothers car

Need help in the Bellingham area , Im doing this for my brother Rolllie , he has my old red lifted car it has a EA82 SPFI and he installed a japan import engine and it has never run good, seems to be running rich??, well we tried every thing and need some Subaru nut to come over and tell us what it needs, thank you SJR

Thanks Scott,

Here's what I know so far:

Car originally had a wore out engine with no compression. It ran very bad to start with.

Engine as received from Japan was originally a carburated type with auto transmission.

I stripped off all the Japan sensors, manifolds, distributor, flywheel, and replaced then with parts off the original engine.

Replaced timing belts, fanbelts, water pump, seals, valve cover gaskets, manifold gaskets pan gasket, thermostat.

Put in new ignition rotor, cap, sparkplugs, plug wires, clutch kit, filters.

Engine starts easy and idles smooth. Upon pressing throttle, it acts rich running and will even emit a cloud of smoke out the exhaust.

Using parts from other doner cars, I tried two other Fuel injection barrels, fuel pump, oxygen O2 sensor, throttle position sensor.

Cut into the catalytic converter, thinking it may be plugged, it was empty.

My next idea is to disconnect the muffler to see if it might be plugged.

I'm open to any suggestions.

By the time we figure it out, this engine ought to run just about perfect.

Thanks

Rollie

I'm down to one subbie, and I gave Andy its carb for his last trip. So I'm down to a bicycle. I kind of like it this way but I'm not able to travel far distance on a work night. I have a couple ideas; if the engine is running rich and all cylinders are firing, fuel pressure is correct and injectors are not stuck open, then you have a input to the ecm out of whack. It could almost anything but most likely a maf, ect, o2, tps sensor. If Rollie stops by Wednesday between five and seven I should be able to figure her out for ya. Just give a call to Andy for the address if he wants to stop by. Don't have to worry about light everything can be tested at the ecm. If Andy is planning to head over Wednesday I catch a ride with him.

:headbang: