Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch issues

Are 2 wheel drive clutches different than 4 wheel drive clutches? Im putting the engine out of my old 4x4 hatch into my 2wd sedan. Both engines are EA-81. The clutch kit I bought yesterday is different then the one on the back of the engine Im putting in the car.

2WD is a 200mm clutch disc and pressure plate.

4WD is a 225mm clutch disc and pressure plate.

They are not interchangeable as they require different flywheels (but a 2WD full set will fit a 4WD tranny and vice-versa).

80-82 EA81's were all 200mm regardless of transmission.

83+ 4WD's got the 225mm style.

EA82's changed completely for the 4WD's (same size, but different spline count, different release bearing, etc).

EA82 2WD's retain the exact same 200mm clutch - it was used from 1980 - 1994 on all 2WD manual's. (they didn't change the tranny either).

GD

Well I bought a clutch kit for a 4x4, but when compaired to the clutch that is on the engine still (the engine is out of a 4x4), the pressure plate is completely different, but the clutch disk fits on my spair tranny. The 2wd is an 82 sedan, the engine Im putting in it is from an 86.

You bought a 4WD clutch, so you need a 4WD flywheel. If your disc won't fit in the flywheel, then you need the 4WD one. Just take it apart and you will see.

Anything in your '82 will be wrong for the 4WD clutch (assuming it's stock). If the 86 engine came with a flywheel it may or may not be right depending on if it's a 4WD engine or not.

GD

Ok I'm just going to put it on and see what happens, I took pictures but I cant find my usb cord to get them on the computer. Last night I had the thought that they gave me a kit for an EA-82, because they never asked me "EA-81, or EA-82?", they just said "1.8 litre? Carbed or injected?", but rereading what was already written it cant be an EA-82 clutch because the disk fits on my spair tranny.:confused: And yes the 86 engine is from a 4x4

Cornfused here:

2WD is a 200mm clutch disc and pressure plate.

4WD is a 225mm clutch disc and pressure plate.

80-82 EA81's were all 200mm regardless of transmission.

So an '82 EA81 4WD is a 200mm?

Was thinking of replacing my '82 4WD and Advance + Autozone show a 225mm as the part.

Thanks in advance.

Peace....Ron