Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all,

I am looking into getting some fog lights for my 06 legacy wagon.

The stock suby lights are about $300 and for that I can get the nice PIAA lights. Anyone have any other brands they like?

I have always thought amber lights were best for fog and snow but I am seeing lots of white lights as well...what's the deal here?

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Hey all,

I am looking into getting some fog lights for my 06 legacy wagon.

The stock suby lights are about $300 and for that I can get the nice PIAA lights. Anyone have any other brands they like?

I have always thought amber lights were best for fog and snow but I am seeing lots of white lights as well...what's the deal here?

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

The real deal with fog lights is not the color, it is the flat cutoff on the top of the beam pattern. The idea is the fog lights project out forward below the fog layer, and do not cast light up into the fog (or snow) where it reflects back to blind you (like regular headlights do).

To be most effective when the conditions are the worst, you turn off your headlight main beams (leave marker and tail lights on) and use your fogs forward. Unfortunately, most state laws require you to have two white headlights forward. You can usually get away with using two white fogs instead of headlamps, but using only yellow fogs will get you a ticket (ask me how I know).

Also, my experience is the yellow does little to improve visibility in fog or snow, but it will make the yellow center lines much harder to see.

i thought the fogs were only on when the low beams were on. i know they are off when high beams are on. i never tried them without head lights.

Don't know about the factory set-up. That's how I've always wired my aftermarket lights. You can take the power for the switch from the marker or taillight wires, so they will go off when you turn all the lights off.

On my old Landcruiser, I wired them off the ignition side of the fuse panel, so they'll still work when the main lights fuse blows. That way I can still get some light forward in an emergency (don't ask how I learned that one either).