Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you identify this part?

Can someone tell me the correct name for this part. It's at the end of the speedometer cable on a '92 Legacy (auto/2wd). I'm getting tired of calling it "that thingy at the end of the speedo. cable".

On the location picture, this is shot on the passenger side with the front of the car to the right.

Also, is that the differential rather than the trans. that it's going into?

Thanks

part.jpg

location.jpg

yes that's the front differential. the front diff and transmission are considered and assembly and one unit so to speak. in other words you really wouldn't replace the trans without replacing the front diff or the front diff without replacing the trans. i mean you could...but it's not advisable and butt loads of work. and most places won't sell you one without the other.

don't know the name, i'd imagine a new cable would have the "end thingie" on it?

Yeah and since the speed sensor in the instrument cluster didn't see any pulses, many many red lights on the dash came on at the same time. Each time it broke, I was on an interstate or highway traveling more than 50mph. So all of a sudden.....red lights....but still running. 1st time really scared me thinking something really bad happened, but reading the codes when I got home led right to the speed sensor and then I remembered the speedometer wasn't working.

Yeah and since the speed sensor in the instrument cluster didn't see any pulses, many many red lights on the dash came on at the same time. Each time it broke, I was on an interstate or highway traveling more than 50mph. So all of a sudden.....red lights....but still running. 1st time really scared me thinking something really bad happened, but reading the codes when I got home led right to the speed sensor and then I remembered the speedometer wasn't working.

i think all the lights are supposed to come on to distract you from the speedo being inop. :brow: