Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any good shops in the greater Pittsburgh Area?

Title says it all, I'm in Morgantown, so closer to that end would do good for me. But Every shop I find is either not interested or too far away. AAA will tow my baru up to 100 miles. So I just got to find someone to swap the engine.

If any grease monkeys want to do it themselves (I'll help of course), I'll gladly buy all the beer they can drink.

I can't see myself swapping an engine myself since my tools consist of a 40$ wrench and socket set.

And a dremel.

The Sube Shop up on the Mileground is your best bet. I've had them do clutch/headgasket work on my Legacy OBW and have nothing but compliments for them. Don't have their number handy but they are right behind the Meineke muffler shop across from the BP station......

Bruce,

i doubt i have the time to do it, but have an engine lift you can borrow. is this an automatic or manual? i would not go to that Subaru shop on the mileground myself. i stopped in and talked to them a bit and they were nice but their prices were higher than other dealers i've talked to in terms of headgasket work and such. being that the nearest subaru dealer is hours and hours away they have an artificial monopoly. maybe they give some people better deals than a nobody off the street (i was just pricing for kicks, i do my own work).

someone i know told me of a "great" subaru shop in morgantown area but i do not know the name, i can ask them if you're interested. i've also noticed a shop out Route 7 west of morgantown that has Subaru's all over the place and appears to be a garage too. i'll stop by someday and find out. you can contact me in PM or email because i'll probably forget about this thread if you want the info on those places. i'll be driving by the place on route 7 a bunch of times this week, i'll stop by and see what they do.

Brucey,

What did ya do to ur subie? $40 tools is all you need and hoist/friend to help . If I could drive there I would do it and then we could go wheelin'...but that's more brew$$$$ than you could afford.

Try Nasioc.com (lot's of kewl folks there , put out an SOS 'save our subie' for help.)and stuff a WRX engine in there...watch the mud fly off those SSR's with boost!!!

Pm me for any questions if ya need advice...I do this for a living...

Good luck :D

I had headgaskets, timing belt, water pump, seals, valves,plugs, plug wires, clutch package.....complete rework done at the Sube Shop for $1200. From what I've been reading on this board, that is an insanely low price......

Besides, they give excellent customer service (you can deal directly with the owner Ernie) and a warranty. It's been a year and 20K miles since they did it and I haven't had any problems!

IMHO that's a much better option than busting knuckles when it's freezing out. Particularly when they do several of these a week so they know all the little tricks.

(Note: this is not a paid endorsement....lol)

Just happy with their work and price!

:banana:

$1,000-$1,500 is the going rate. they quoted me $1,500 for an EJ25 headgasket change about a month ago. i asked if that included anything else...water pump, timing belt, etc. they said "No", that was all additional. i was having some tires installed and figured i'd stop by to chat, i change my own headgaskets anyway but was curious.

that being said...being expensive is one thing...now i don't even trust them because they're nice to one guy (you) and try to hose the next guy (me). i don't mind expensive depending what, who and honesty. i have friends that are mechanics and they don't work like that.

that being said...being expensive is one thing...now i don't even trust them because they're nice to one guy (you) and try to hose the next guy (me). i don't mind expensive depending what, who and honesty. i have friends that are mechanics and they don't work like that.

Gary,

Maybe they noticed the grease under your fingernails and knew you were a "tire-kicker"? (or whatever the correct term is for someone who goes to a mechanic for a quote but isn't serious about having the work done at that shop.)

BTW, Gary, thanks for your advice about the 2.2> 2.5 swap about a year ago (or however long ago that was. Time flies...) I DIYed it and it worked out great.

Nathan

(or whatever the correct term is for someone who goes to a mechanic for a quote but isn't serious about having the work done at that shop.)
for a lesser price tag i would have been interested since i don't have my tools in WV yet.

nice job on the 2.2 swap, i have extra EJ22's as well, so i'm also considering that. glad it worked out for you.