Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, if the only 'functional' change made to my car is wheels that are 17x7.5 instead of my stockers 17x7 - what does that do class-wise?

I signed up for a Subaru Challenge event (anyone ever go to those? http://www.subaruchallenge.com/) and am a total noob. It's confusing because it SEEMS that, even a non 'stock' wheel might not bump your class IF it still falls within the manufacturer's 'specs' for the car AND is no bigger in diameter?

I dunno - doens't really matter I guess as I expect not to win of course, just wondering.

Carl

I don't know what car specifically you're refering to, however if the stock wheel is 7" wide and yours is 17.5" it is not stock legal. If it's a WRX than STX is a likely home under SCCA classing. Or if we're talking about a STI etc. than STU. Bottom line, even if they're "only .5" wider" it's still not legal for stock class.

I don't know what car specifically you're refering to, however if the stock wheel is 7" wide and yours is 17.5" it is not stock legal. If it's a WRX than STX is a likely home under SCCA classing. Or if we're talking about a STI etc. than STU. Bottom line, even if they're "only .5" wider" it's still not legal for stock class.

Yeah - it looks like the xtra .5 liters in the engine puts it in STU.

06 WRX wagon. no other 'functional' mods than the rims.

Oh well, I'll get severely stomped instead of just stomped.

Carl

Do they measure? AKA Who's gonna notice?

Do the tires have to be stock tread pattern too?

I can't answer all your questions - but evidently tread wear ratings figure in to some classes. There's a bewildering number of classes - to go with all the different kinda cars and modifications I guess.

('glance' at this;

- http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/

caution, you may become drowsy)

Oh well. I'm just gonna try to focus on getting my car through without knocking over any cones and still have fun.

(someone has to be the slowest - right?)

Carl

It says they're run to SCCA Solo II [autocross] rules so you can look them up online - like at: http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/stock.html#s134

Wider wheels take you out of Stock.

Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following: it is the same width and diameter as standard, and as installed (including wheel spacers if applicable) it does not have an offset more than +/- 0.25 inch from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed. Vehicles originally equipped only with 12 inch diameter wheels, may use 13 inch diameter wheels of the same width as standard and offset within +/- 0.25 inch of standard.

Unfortunately yeah...the wheels are not stock class legal. Funnier yet, is that you can put $5000 triple adjustable shocks on the car provided the spring perches stay at the stock location, or $8000 magnesium wheels that weigh 8lbs each as long as they are still the stock size.....Oh, you can remove the exhaust from the cat back as long as it exits behind the driver too. The rules are pretty akward until you start looking at the pointy end of competitiveness. People actually do spend that kind of money for a trophy (and jacket).:-\

HOWEVER....Autocross is about having fun. If I were you, I would look for as many folks running in the stock class and ask them if they would have a problem with you running despite the only non-stock thing on your car is the wheels. Chances are, they will not have any problems and welcome you to just register in stock. It's not cheating, or in any way going to make you an overdog. Realistically, if anyone in the stock class is running DOT R-compound tires (legal in stock) and/or trick shocks, they will have a distinct advantage.

STX or STU will likely have folks who've reflashed their ECUs, totally redone the suspension and will be running their 140 treadwear street tires (that have been shaved and arrived on trailers) which will not be any fun trying to catch. Where you register doesn't really matter, since you should try and just improve your times each run....but it's nice to come out of it and not be DFL too....

That's my $.02 anyway....

Jay Storm