Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wagonsonly and WagonsonlySR

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it? :grin:

Tacoma, WA on the FF-1 and Milesburg, PA (!! They might be early!!) on the coupe.

Edit: I'm going to keep editing this post so I don't keep altering my post count or bumping this to the top...the FF-1 is still in Vancouver but the coupe is now in Jersey! (11:30PM Tuesday 11/21)

FF-1 now in Peoria, IL; coupe still in Jersey (10:15PM Friday 11/24)

FF-1 in Gary, IN; coupe still in NJ. (4:55PM Saturday 11/25)

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this thread should be re-titled "The adventures of wagonsonly"

Andrew came down last night to pick up the Brat he got from me, since he was headed north I hitched a ride with him to pick up my new hatch @ Meeky Mooses....

I drove the 170 something miles up with no real issues other than the trans jumping out of 4th a few times (first time for that).

One the way back he was going rather slow, so I pulled off for him to catch up, he pulled off the road and called me saying "the oil light is on and the clutch cable just broke"

Came back and checked it out, clutch cable was ok, so I adjusted the clutch..... everything visually and feel seems to be working normally, but you can't start it in gear, it's like the clutch isn't engaged at all.

So, while I ran to the dmv to title the hatch with the possibility of driving him home to conn. on the horizon, he managed to call AAA and get the Brat hauled to Meekys place and met up with Frank B to get the GL10 he bought to drive home.

As far as I know right now he's on his way back home with the GL10. Gonna give him a call in a bit and check on the progress.

Old subes, always an adventure. :rolleyes:

:lol:

That's our man!

Those old Subaru road trips are wearing thin on me these days.I'm so glad I didn't get involved in this one,no offense Andrew.It's just that I don't have anywhere near this kind of time to invest,let alone gas money,mishaps and breakdowns,etc...Naturally,I wish I could have roadtripped it with you,but life got in the way.:-\

Hat's off to our man Andrew for protecting all vintage Subarus,and then some.:headbang:

:lol:

That's our man!

Those old Subaru road trips are wearing thin on me these days.I'm so glad I didn't get involved in this one,no offense Andrew.It's just that I don't have anywhere near this kind of time to invest,let alone gas money,mishaps and breakdowns,etc...Naturally,I wish I could have roadtripped it with you,but life got in the way.:-\

Hat's off to our man Andrew for protecting all vintage Subarus,and then some.:headbang:

Totally, as much as I'd love to do it, I just can't, thank goodness Andrew is out there. Personally I'm shocked that we had any issues at all, I've put 4,000mi on the Brat since I bought it and never had a moments trouble (beyond the random non idle first week I had it and a small elec. short). I feel really bad that it was mine that let him down, I feel in debt to him, if he needs someone to pick up a sube in the south for him I'm ready to do it!

I guess since the GL10 is going home this week, I'll have to make a trip to Conn. in the hatch to pick up the parts he had for me. And so begins another sube road trip......

What a trip. I started off in a 2002 VW Passat with no cruise control (ya, I know, poor me) and an inflatable boat in the back seat that wouldn't let me put the seat back far enough...got to Curt's, drove the Brat maybe a half-mile, went to bed. Left with Curt, ran some errands, started to Tony's in Ruckersville. The aforementioned interestingness with the tranny popping out of fourth worried me slightly but I assumed it was just worn synchros. Got to Tony's, chatted for a bit, started following Curt and his hatch to the DMV. I made it maybe ten miles--not even halfway back to I-81--when the oil light came on. I flashed my lights to Curt to let him know I was pulling over and pulled into the Elkton Exxon--or at least I tried!! I couldn't get the trans out of third at the light, ended up coasting through a red light and jamming it into first. I came to a grinding halt at the far end of the gas station, tried starting it again in first with the clutch to the floor...nothing. Wouldn't push-start or start in gear, clutch off the floor either. The shifter moves fine between gears with the engine off but will not shift from neutral with the engine running, and won't start in ANY gear. It feels like the clutch cable broke, but everything seems to be in fine order externally.Tony said it might be frayed; I think (hope) that's the case, or that it's broken somewhere inside the bellhousing near the pressure plate.

Many thanks to Tony, who let me store the Brat at his place; Frank, who let me interrupt his Tuesday evening and take the GL-10 with his plates and insurance still on it; and Curt, who offered me a ride to CT in case all else failed.

And if I ever try this again with another vintage 'Ru, someone, please slap me. :-\

And if I ever try this again with another vintage 'Ru, someone, please slap me. :-\

You know,I was meaning to do that anyways since the Ed Parsil thing.....:lol: :lol:

Well,at least your home and Charlie seems willing to go get the Brat for a reasonable fee.:brow:

Curt, if you are coming up to CT, stop in at my place and see the brats. i also might be able to hook you up with some parts. i have a rust free drivers fender (a few dings) maybe a pass side, and some other ea81 parts.

Yeah, I really hope I can get up that way in the coming month, it'd be a fun road trip.... the furthest north I've been is PA.

• 4 weeks later...
Who needs the slap now?!

Well, it appears I'm driving my former Brat the final leg to Conn. sometime this week, apparently it like me better anyhow. Wish me luck!

Let's hope you have better luck with it than Andrew did.:grin:

Same here,like Jon,I have plenty of fenders in excellent shape,some NEW,some used.You'd be missing out if you didn't come by my place too,so try to make some time.Requires good weather for the full treatment,but I do have those EXC. Gen I fenders in the hallway storage unit,so even if it's raiing I can get to those.Oh,and there's about half a ton NEW OLD STOCK in there too.;)

My stuff is in Milford CT just off I-95 exit 35.If you go to Jon's first,then Andrew's,you can hit my place on the way home.

Depending on the time you come around NYC you might consider the reverse of that order.

Be sure to listen for the traffic reports when coming up through NJ or eastern PA if you don't use the I-81 to I-84 method.(880 AM WCBS)

Let's hope you have better luck with it than Andrew did.:grin:

Same here,like Jon,I have plenty of fenders in excellent shape,some NEW,some used.You'd be missing out if you didn't come by my place too,so try to make some time.Requires good weather for the full treatment,but I do have those EXC. Gen I fenders in the hallway storage unit,so even if it's raiing I can get to those.Oh,and there's about half a ton NEW OLD STOCK in there too.;)

My stuff is in Milford CT just off I-95 exit 35.If you go to Jon's first,then Andrew's,you can hit my place on the way home.

Depending on the time you come around NYC you might consider the reverse of that order.

Be sure to listen for the traffic reports when coming up through NJ or eastern PA if you don't use the I-81 to I-84 method.(880 AM WCBS)

I'll have to try and work it in, hopefully I can head up Wed. but I have a feeling it'll be Thursday.

That's funny, I listen to WCBS 880 around here at night all the time, for some reason I find the weather and traffic reports amusing. Can't pick it up in the hatch though, getting lots of engine noise on AM.

I'll have to try and work it in, hopefully I can head up Wed. but I have a feeling it'll be Thursday.

That's funny, I listen to WCBS 880 around here at night all the time, for some reason I find the weather and traffic reports amusing. Can't pick it up in the hatch though, getting lots of engine noise on AM.

Ahhh,that's the little noise supressor thingie.....

OK,have fun and if you can make it by be sure to have Andrew call ahead of time.Surprise visits don't always work out too good.;)