Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You can just have the headgaskets replaced and then see what your compression is. That'd be the cheapest route at this point. If it's low across all four cylinders, you might have cooked your rings, and then you'll need a complete rebuild, or a new engine.

Definitely have your heads sent to a machine shop to check for warpage or any of that, especially if you've overheated it numerous times.

If you end up needing a new engine, ANY "EJ"-series engine will bolt up, but getting another engine like you have will be the easiest to put in.

A 2.2 will bolt right up. If you are serious about that conversion I can list everything needed for the swap. ONLY way I would recommend a used 2.5 is if it had less the 60K otherwise you will be in the same position anytime after 125K miles.

I assume that you are referring to the Phase I DOHC 2.5L engine only. The Phase II 2.5L SOHC, although not perfect, has proven to be a reliable engine. Given the feedback on this board, it seems that even the infamous Phase I 2.5L is reasonably reliable once the blown headgaskets have been properly replaced. It does not pay to cook these engines. Aluminum expands MUCH more than cast iron when heated.

I assume that you are referring to the Phase I DOHC 2.5L engine only. The Phase II 2.5L SOHC, although not perfect, has proven to be a reliable engine. Given the feedback on this board, it seems that even the infamous Phase I 2.5L is reasonably reliable once the blown headgaskets have been properly replaced. It does not pay to cook these engines. Aluminum expands MUCH more than cast iron when heated.

I agree. Once the HG is replaced its fixed. Cooking the engine is very bad. You can get rod knock, or more typically (and horiffic) the piston sleeve moves and the engine at that point is junk. Cooking any engine is bad.

Its hard to find a DOHC 2.5 as a used engine, as they all seem to be purring along nicely (most of them get repaired). Same with the 2.5L SOHC. Its easier to find a 2.2L if you want to go that route.

Any mfg engine can blow a HG (and anyone with an open deck has a tendency to do it), but the 2.2 it seems to be rare (closed deck).

nipper

• 3 weeks later...

ok. so i finally got my beloved car back. 1400.00 in work. new headgaskets, new plugs. machined the heads flat. valves were checked and determined to be ok. they were adjusted. block was determined to be ok. seems to be running great since the work was done. much smoother. hit the highway last night some. hope my troubles are over for a long long time.

next. new tires. new front endlinks.

future. lighter flywheel. new clutch. stiffer transmission mounts.