Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Fuel Delivery Problem

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has worked on EA-81 gas tanks. My fuel pump is not drawing any gas from the tank so I traced the lines back from the pump to the tank. There are two lines coming out of the front of the tank, one with a small diameter and one with a large. The pump is connected to the outlet with the large diameter. The interesting thing is that when I disconnect each line from the tank, only the smaller outlet drips out fuel.

Is the smaller outlet delivery and larger return? If so, my pump is hooked up to the wrong outlet.

Maybe it is hooked up right and there is a blockage inside the tank stopping fuel from exiting the larger outlet.

I will probably drop the tank to clean it up and protect it but would appreciate any experience on this subject.

Cheers,

Steve

1986 Brat 4WD - Hitachi Carb

Yeah - sounds like the tank is dirty perhaps. The smaller one is the return, larger the supply. So that's correct.

Usually if you take the pump loose from the supply with a tank of gas, it will start siphoning out all over you - so it sounds to me like you have something blocking the pickup tube.

Probably best, if you suspect any rust at all, to just drop the tank and clean it all out inside. If the rust isn't too bad you can treat it with one of those tank liner products.

Otherwise it might be time for a new tank. I can usually get them here at my yards - they don't pucnture them here, and they are already removed and put in the trunk of the car. I'm not sure on the cost but I'll ask when I head over there.

GD

Brilliant, thanks a lot mate :)

What do you recommend for cleaning the tank?

Actually, if you are involved in the yards, I also need a passenger side roof glass because Katrina smashed up my old one.

Oh and a front grill and headlights (two rectangular ones on each side) ;)

A bit cheeky asking for all that but not sure where I can get all that stuff new even.

Cheers,

Steve

Yeah - sounds like the tank is dirty perhaps. The smaller one is the return, larger the supply. So that's correct.

Usually if you take the pump loose from the supply with a tank of gas, it will start siphoning out all over you - so it sounds to me like you have something blocking the pickup tube.

Probably best, if you suspect any rust at all, to just drop the tank and clean it all out inside. If the rust isn't too bad you can treat it with one of those tank liner products.

Otherwise it might be time for a new tank. I can usually get them here at my yards - they don't pucnture them here, and they are already removed and put in the trunk of the car. I'm not sure on the cost but I'll ask when I head over there.

GD

Brilliant, thanks a lot mate :)

What do you recommend for cleaning the tank?

I've had excelent results with the POR family of products, and they make a gas tank product.....

http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/COMPLETEKITS/FUELTANKREPAIRKIT/tabid/106/Default.aspx

Actually, if you are involved in the yards, I also need a passenger side roof glass because Katrina smashed up my old one.

Oh and a front grill and headlights (two rectangular ones on each side) ;)

A bit cheeky asking for all that but not sure where I can get all that stuff new even.

Cheers,

Steve

I totally understand - the roof glass is going to be near impossible to find in a yard. In 5 years of fairly constant yard runs, I've seen only 2 Brats, and both were in a yard 2 hours from me. I would ask about the roof glass in the wanted forum.

The front grill and headlights... you want the plastic surrounds that go around the lights? I'm sure I'll run across some good ones eventually, but EA81's in general are getting more scarce in the yards here.... Tanks I can find (Brat and Wagon/Sedan tank are the same) - mostly because we don't have rust here so no one wants them. I'll keep my eyes out for some for ya.

GD

Hi again,

I just need the center grill with the subie logo on it.

I took another look at the car and I can get away with the passenger headlight. I just need the driver headlight without the trim, I already bought that off someone on the board a couple of years ago.

Damn - I am getting the Brat bug back again - haven't touched mine in 2 years and its very rusty because it came from Florida. I wanna buy another one with a good frame now seing all those pictures in the for sale section.

Ho Hum - I think I'll just be content with getting this one road worthy for now...

Steve

I've had excelent results with the POR family of products, and they make a gas tank product.....

http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/COMPLETEKITS/FUELTANKREPAIRKIT/tabid/106/Default.aspx

I totally understand - the roof glass is going to be near impossible to find in a yard. In 5 years of fairly constant yard runs, I've seen only 2 Brats, and both were in a yard 2 hours from me. I would ask about the roof glass in the wanted forum.

The front grill and headlights... you want the plastic surrounds that go around the lights? I'm sure I'll run across some good ones eventually, but EA81's in general are getting more scarce in the yards here.... Tanks I can find (Brat and Wagon/Sedan tank are the same) - mostly because we don't have rust here so no one wants them. I'll keep my eyes out for some for ya.

GD

Alrighty,

Finally got my tank off (after having had to drop the rear differential, a slight oversight on the part of the manual -thank you Haynes).

Now I wonder if it is supposed to be opened to be cleaned. It looks like a sealed unit to me - I could be wrong.

Can it be opened?

Steve

GD

Starting to make headway now...

After removing the tank, cleaning it out and soaking it with degreaser overnight, the fuel delivery outlet was still blocked. I tried applying 90psi from my compressor still no luck.

I tilted it upright, outlet pointing up, filled the tube with PB blast until it overflowed and left it overnight again.

Hit it with 150psi today and it finally cleared :)

Hurrah! - I am going to leave it soaking in degreaser overnight again and look at using the POR tank liner kit.

Keep ya posted when I get it hooked up and can try starting it again.

Steve

Pull out the level sender - you'll have to clean it through there.

GD

Alrighty then,

I guess I'll cave in and get a replacement tank. Can you get me the cost inc shipping to 70115.

Do you need photos of mine to make sure its the right one. It has an indentation underneath so it can clear the rear diff....

Thanks Dude,

Steve

GD

Alrighty then,

I guess I'll cave in and get a replacement tank. Can you get me the cost inc shipping to 70115.

Do you need photos of mine to make sure its the right one. It has an indentation underneath so it can clear the rear diff....

Thanks Dude,

Steve

I'll check it out - have to see if the yard has any EA81's. I'll be out there probably Friday or Saturday. Last I knew they had a couple wagons, which should work for ya.

All the 4WD's have the indentation. I pretty much know which tank you need.

GD