Ultimate Subaru Message Board

repairing electric window regulator

Hi Guys, long time no speak on here, but I do read a lot of the posts.

I have been following threads on door panel removal etc, cos I have a broken window regulator. I have removed the panel, and the polythene cover, unplugged electrical connectors etc, but I dont know what to do next, since I cant see what the problem is. Has anyone removed the regulator?

The teeth on the motor seem to be in perfect condition, but the matching mechanism on the regulator is not in contact with the motor at all. its just flapping about, not connected to the X shaped device that lifts the window up and down. I dont have a diagram of what this assembly should look like , and as I said I cant see what has broken.

Do I have to remove the motor and the whole regulator mechanism?

Does this mean I have to remove the window too?

Looks very complicated , although maybe only 4 bolts to get the broken bits out.

If anyone has experience of this I would be so very grateful of any advice you can give me.

John

Sounds like one of the bolts holding the assy. in may be gone. Yes, to get it out you will have to pull it. I'd take a second look and see if you can't find what is wrong before you pull it. You can always look at the other side and compare the two. What year and model?

Thanks IMDEW for replying. I decided, after taking some pics of inside the door, that the whole thing had to come out.it waas quite straight forward to remove the motor and the ratchet drive part of the assembly. It had sheared off the X shaped widow carrier completely.I have left the window in for the time being. I just hope that the next bit is just as simple--getting a new regulator etc. and somehow getting it all back in place.

Its a 1995 Legacy TS type R japanese import, so I hope the bits I need are common to all Legacies, or I may have a long draughty wait to get parts.

I also discovered that my speaker in that door was also disintegrating.

All in all, it is a very easy task to remove the door panel etc, and it all just snapped back into place like a dream when i put it back on.