Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001-2002 VDC Wanted - Any problems?

I owned an 83 wagon that I drove to Alaska & back. I loved that car! The only thing I had to complain about it was having to replace the CV joints several times.

I've wanted an Outback for years but have been waiting patiently until I could afford a used 6-cyl. - I've done some research and see there's the LL Bean edition and the VDC in the 2001-02, which is probably about what I can spend.

The VDC sounds like what I want but I'm a little concerned about the possibility of problems with it in a used vehicle. Do you all know how they're holding up, especially at over 100k miles?

Thanks.

The only problem I know if with the VCD is the transmission.

Automatics are a problem in general, nugh-nugh:brow:

Manual is better:grin:

Just kidding. The only problems I know is slightly more cost then a 4, as in lower mileage and 2 more platinum NGK plugs to replace. I don't want start a thing about plugs, so just ignore that.

I also remember a post about a recall but search isn't finding anything.

I haven't heard a whole lot about the VDC's, but don't the WRX's pretty much run that kind of thing with the DCCD without too many problems? Anyway, I think the 6cyl is pretty reliable, I have heard of someone having timing chain issues but subaru replaced the engine under warranty. Now I"m not trying to direct anyone away from this awesome forum but there is a related site that has a somewhat active specific forum about subaruoutback H6's.