Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange breathing noise in engine

...and not knowing anything about cars really makes it all quite fun. So here is the problem....I blew the front cv joint and the rear axle last day out in my old leone turbo so now it only runs in rwd??? Today I put a pod filter in it and attached a boost guage just to see if the engine would be ok to transplant. Anyway hooked the boost guage up and now as soon as you turn the ignition on there is a sucking sound coming from two pipes which leads to the fuel injector rails????????on the other side of the motor, these pipes lead up to a reasonably large black cylinder by the firewall. as long as the ignition is on it sounds like a heart sucking in and out and just keeps on going. Anyway took it for a wee spin (10kilometres) and when I got back i heard bubbling water around turbo area and the temperature guage kept on rising (about half way) even when switched off but nothing too serious to cause damage. just wondering whether its worth getting someone to switch the motors if this one is on its way out. Seems pretty strong though and usually runs really cool.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

The bubbling sound is easy, that's your coolant being cooked inside your HOT turbo, nothing to worry about, but it does tell you that your turbo was actually too hot to turn off,

when you're going to shut down the car, let the car idle for a minute or 2, especially if you've been driving it hard around the block :brow: this way your turbo will cool down, your oil won't cook inside the turbo, the coolant will not boil and everybody is happy

the sucking noise I can't place, can you take pictures of the offending parts? that would really help me/us to determine the cause.

The bubbling sound is easy, that's your coolant being cooked inside your HOT turbo, nothing to worry about, but it does tell you that your turbo was actually too hot to turn off,

when you're going to shut down the car, let the car idle for a minute or 2, especially if you've been driving it hard around the block :brow: this way your turbo will cool down, your oil won't cook inside the turbo, the coolant will not boil and everybody is happy

the sucking noise I can't place, can you take pictures of the offending parts? that would really help me/us to determine the cause.

Thanks for the reply....will go outside for a cigarette with my torch and camera and upload some if they turn out ok. Cheers

Here it is, its the silver thing at the top of the pic....two of the three lines are sucking in and out in a rhythmic heart like fashion and making a noise with the ignition on and the motor not running. as for the bubbling water after a short boost....it doesn't usually do this and normally runs really cold, but this time everything got hot alot quicker than normal. Cheers.

post-21001-136027619197_thumb.jpg

That's your fuel filter, and the noise is your fuel pump "cycling" - which it will do if the green test mode connectors are hooked together. Test mode also disables ignition timing advance - leading to higher temps.

GD

Green test mode connectors? how can I unhook these and how did they get hooked in the first place? Where are they located?

Thanks mate.

Should be right next to that fuel filter - behind the drivers side strut tower. Look down in that pocket back there by the wiper motor.

As to how they got that way.... only you would know that ;).

GD

I was fiddling over the other side trying to get the boost guage on. Is it an electrical type connection that needs unplugging?

Thanks

OH! wait a sec - you guys have the steering wheel on the other side :-p

So yeah - could be over yonder on the "driver" side of the car.....

Electrical tape.... well no it shouldn't be. Should be a 2 pin green plastic connector - or rather a set of them. Disconnect them when you find them. Maybe someone mucked with them and now they are wrapped in e-tape, but they shouldn't be stock.

GD

OH! wait a sec - you guys have the steering wheel on the other side :-p

So yeah - could be over yonder on the "driver" side of the car.....

Electrical tape.... well no it shouldn't be. Should be a 2 pin green plastic connector - or rather a set of them. Disconnect them when you find them. Maybe someone mucked with them and now they are wrapped in e-tape, but they shouldn't be stock.

GD

Yeah, the other side over here, so I've obviously bodged something during the boost guage install. Your advice has been great, thanks. I'm still not entirely sure what I'm looking for but it should be traceable in the morning. I have had a "helper" tinker with a few of my things lately only for them to break a few days later. I took my bike down the bike shop for a service last week only to find that said helper had removed all the oil and the sump plug without my knowing.

So is it a vacuum line or an elctrical connection?

Cheers

Thanks alot for your help, finally found it, it was in the cabin not the engine bay. Havent taken it for a run yet but the breathing has stopped. Cheers again.

SPFI: Left strut area. MPFI/Turbo: In the cabin, near the ECU on US models. XT/Vortex: Somewhere else (trunk/boot with ECU???)