Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! car died going downhill.

on my way to work this morning my car died goind down a pretty steep hill and I wasn't able to ever get it started again. its an 1987 EA82 carbed manual 4wd wagon. was hesitant to start this morn ing as it normally is when its cold...made it about 1/2 to that hill and it died about midway down....coasted over to a flat spot off the road. tried removing the air cleaner and making sure the butterfly valve was fully open and it was...tried pouring a little gas down into the carb but still no luck. will be skipping class tonight and going to work on it around 5 after I get off work..what should I start with and check?

My perspective from the fuel point - If you turn over the engine and can't smell gas from the carb, it's a fuel issue.

If it's not getting gas, check to see if the fuel pump is humming when you first turn on the ignition. If not, check voltage to it. If voltage, replace pump. If it does hum, there may be a blockage anywhere from the tank to the engine.

I just made progress with my fuel delivery issue....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67106

I reckon there was rust in the tank that blocked the pipe and set over time.

Steve

k thanks...any other suggestions? ...trying to get as much stuff as possible before I go give it a shot.