Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel gauge 83 GL SW

I have had this Sub sitting under a tree since 98, My toyota blew up, so I ripped out the mildew carpet and now drive ole reliable every day. With that in mind, The fuel gauge no work anymore , since I can go like 400 miles on a tank load, its not a big problem. Has anyone fixed their fuel gauge? Were should I start and note : the sending unit wont come of the off the tank because the nuts or bolts are rusted to the point of fusion. s/c

I have had this Sub sitting under a tree since 98, My toyota blew up, so I ripped out the mildew carpet and now drive ole reliable every day. With that in mind, The fuel gauge no work anymore , since I can go like 400 miles on a tank load, its not a big problem. Has anyone fixed their fuel gauge? Were should I start and note : the sending unit wont come of the off the tank because the nuts or bolts are rusted to the point of fusion. s/c
How does the wires look at the sending unit rustey? If so clean them. allso make sure the straps that hold the tank are not to rusty if they are you might not be getting a ground. Take a wire and hold it on the sending unit and then touch to a clean spot on the frame (no rust) and see if that does it and i think to test the gauge the same way . Touch the wire from the sending unit to a good ground with the car on and see if the gauge comes up. If so then you need a new sending unit and or better ground.

I might have just gotten lucky but my fuel gauge in my first suby didnt work either because it had sat for a few years before i got it. So i didnt do anything about it and just filled up when i thought i needed to and and one day it just started working again. My only guess was that the sending unit in the tank got all gummed up and driving it and putting fresh gas in ungummed it. I would just drive it for awhile and see what happens. Just be careful not to run out of gas.

• 1 month later...