Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No Cold Idle with 1980 carb (choke stuck open)

Allright, I've looked around the site quite a bit, but I can't find any info that pertains specifically to this carb:

carb_1.jpg

Here some pics of the carb in it's current state:

http://www.iehardcore.com/pics/100_2273.jpg

http://www.iehardcore.com/pics/100_2274.jpg

http://www.iehardcore.com/pics/100_2275.jpg

These are High Res pics so dial up users beware!

Also, please note that in these pics the thermostat cover is loose because I was checking to make sure the choke wasn't hung up on something in there. It looks like brand new inside.

Now for the story, sorry if it's long. This carb is probably off of a 1980, but it's really anybody's guess at this point. This car has parts from just about every type of ea-81 around.

Anyway, I had this carb rebuilt about 2 years ago and it ran fine for a little while (about 3 months), and then it had a problem where the choke would not open up. So. . . it would start right up and drive for about 5 minutes and then die. You would have to get out and stick a rock or something in the choke to hold it open to continue (I'm sure everyone has had that problem before, pretty common really). It turns out that for whatever reason I wasn't getting any voltage to the choke and if you look at the pictures you can see the patchwork I did on the heater lead line. Anyway, that worked for a long time, but the other day my wife went out to move the car and she calls me and says it wont start.

Sure enough, when I got home the car would start fine, but as soon as you take your foot off the gas it would immediatly stall. Vacuume leak right? Wrong. I couldn't find a single leak so I took the air cleaner off and the choke is right there, stuck wide open, and it couldn't even be forced closed. I fooled around with it for a while and I found that by opening the throttle ALL THE WAY the choke could be moved by hand and it could be closed. The car would then start and run, but as soon as I depressed the accelerator it opened the choke 100% and the car would die. So, I can run the car by basically cramming my foot all the way on the gas to get it started, and keep it running by playing a game of pumping the pedal to keep the RPM's up until its hot, but even then it's running like crap. I've checked all the springs and they are all in good shape, looks like they replaced most of them during the rebuild. The linkage all looks correct to me and like I said the car runs and idles fine if I manually open the throttle all the way and then manually close the choke before starting it. . . but as soon as I hit the gas it dies! This is a totaly new problem for me and any help would be much appreciated!

Remove the choke housing - I think you may find that the bi-metal spring inside the housing has worn through and the "hook" on the end has fallen off giving the chock no spring to close it. Best way to deal with that is to replace it with the later 83/84 style choke that has the plastic spring/heater housing and eliminate the second pull-off pot on the back. I know that's not an easy description to follow, but just pull that housing off and check the spring - you'll probably find the small peice of hook just chilling in the bottom of the housing. At which point you will say "crap - now how do I fix THAT?". Just come back here, and we'll get ya fixed up.

GD

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I haven't messed with it for a while, but I need to drive it tomorrow so I went out to start it up today and when I turned the key. . . nothing. Not even a click. Turns out the inside light got left on and the battery was totaly dead. Anyway, I got a new battery in it (got to love that free Wal-Mart replacement policy) and I squirted some starter fluid in the carb and she fired right up and ran perfect. Well, maybe not perfect, but just as good as normal. I went down to the gas station and filled her up and she started normally afterwards.

Back to GD's question, I did open the choke housing and checked the thermostat spring thing with the hook on the end and it looked brand new. So that's not the problem with the cold start. I'll have to check and see how it runs tomorrow in the morning when its really cold outside. That will be the test to see if whatever was causing the choke to be stuck open is randomly fixed or not.

Now. . . did I remember to screw the choke housing all the way closed or not??? I guess I'll find out in the morning :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...