Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When I put the car into drive while standing still I hear a rattle coming from the front. At first I thought it was something loose like the grill or license plate but when I got down under it, it seems as it comes from the lower part of the engine. Any ideas?. Car drives fine otherwise.

Thanks as always.

When I put the car into drive while standing still I hear a rattle coming from the front. At first I thought it was something loose like the grill or license plate but when I got down under it, it seems as it comes from the lower part of the engine. Any ideas?. Car drives fine otherwise.

Thanks as always.

My 95 Legacy has the old heat shield rattle. The mechanic is offering to put a few rivets into it for $65. I thought that was a lot of money for a few rivets. However, that rattle is really starting to annoy me....

I had the ones around the pipe that comes down from the engine to where it turns to the one going to back of car welded at muffer shop for just a few dollars. I had thought about trying J.B. weld on it.

My 95 Legacy has the old heat shield rattle. The mechanic is offering to put a few rivets into it for $65. I thought that was a lot of money for a few rivets. However, that rattle is really starting to annoy me....

the y-pipe (shaped like a 'y' or a 'v') bolts to the bottom of the engine and extends back to the catatilic converter section of the exhaust (looks like 2 small mufflers). the long pipe then runs back to the muffler and tail pipe at the rear of the car.

the bulky stuff mounted on the y-pipe is/are the heat shield in question. the pipes under neath (inside) the heat sheild are roughly the same diameter as the long pipe that runs to the muffler in the rear. the heat shields get loos and rattle on the pipe inside.

the cat converters look like little muflers and are located in the middle section of the exhaust. they to have heat sheilds but less is talked about them on this forum, so they are probably not the problem. sorry i don't have a picture.

the y-pipe (shaped like a 'y' or a 'v') bolts to the bottom of the engine and extends back to the catatilic converter section of the exhaust (looks like 2 small mufflers). the long pipe then runs back to the muffler and tail pipe at the rear of the car.

the bulky stuff mounted on the y-pipe is/are the heat shield in question. the pipes under neath (inside) the heat sheild are roughly the same diameter as the long pipe that runs to the muffler in the rear. the heat shields get loos and rattle on the pipe inside.

the cat converters look like little muflers and are located in the middle section of the exhaust. they to have heat sheilds but less is talked about them on this forum, so they are probably not the problem. sorry i don't have a picture.

They say pictures are worth a 1000 words. Yours beat that by 5. Thanks,