Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought some gently used engine and tranny mounts from a WRX for my 98 Legacy (decided that Group N mounts were overkill, and these were very cheap).

I've got 2 mounts, 2 mounting plates, and a transmission mount. But in the box is an L-shaped bracket that I'm not familiar with. The guy I bought them from doesn't know either--the previous owner of his car already swapped out the mounts with aftermarket ones and left these in the trunk. I haven't taken my own mounts apart yet so I guess it might be something I haven't seen yet, but it's a bit odd that there's only 1. Does it go with the tranny? Is it just a stray part?

mountco3.th.jpg

(click for big image)

My guess is that it was a shim for the old motor mount that the other owner put back in the box when he finished the last job. I have never replaced a motor mount so I dont know, but I have replaced transmission mount and dont remember seeing anything like that.

I just bought some gently used engine and tranny mounts from a WRX for my 98 Legacy (decided that Group N mounts were overkill, and these were very cheap).

I've got 2 mounts, 2 mounting plates, and a transmission mount. But in the box is an L-shaped bracket that I'm not familiar with. The guy I bought them from doesn't know either--the previous owner of his car already swapped out the mounts with aftermarket ones and left these in the trunk. I haven't taken my own mounts apart yet so I guess it might be something I haven't seen yet, but it's a bit odd that there's only 1. Does it go with the tranny? Is it just a stray part?

mountco3.th.jpg

(click for big image)

It is a heat sheild on the right side motor mount (only turbo models). It is placed on the bottom side of the mount , between the mount and the subframe

SEA#3

Thanks, that seems right- it fits neatly on the bottom of the mount. Sadly my Legacy lacks a turbo. Does the exhaust on an N/A 2.2 come close enough to either of the mounts to merit using it, or should I toss it in the junk drawer?