Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 Impreza 5SP MT growling

Hi,

My 96 OBW bought the farm (shopping for engine and tranny now) and am driving the escape pod in the mean time (93 Impreza 5sp).

Hoping to be able to keep it going until I can come up with a reasonably priced\respectable 2.2 for the wagon, though have had a growling coming out of the tranny for the past couple thousand miles (different mechanics have waxed differently as to possible causes...), the one that sounds most likely is a bearing.. suggestions: "New tranny: $1800", "Rebuild:~$1k"...

Since its got 210k+mi (and needs struts all around), I am mostly just want to get myself back and forth to work for a couple months.

Any chance that a bearing (or other patch) could be done on the cheap (<$1k), to give let me breath a bit more comfortably through the New Year?

Does this always dropping the tranny?

-John

first make sure it's not something simple. you've already verified it's internal to the trans? you sure it's not a throwout bearing or pilot bearing? or not rear diff, wheel bearing related.

suggestions: "New tranny: $1800", "Rebuild:~$1k"

used $150

Any chance that a bearing (or other patch) could be done on the cheap (<$1k), to give let me breath a bit more comfortably through the New Year?

Does this always dropping the tranny?

yes and yes - drop trans and install a new used one.

1-800-634-7964 $150

1-518-893-0151 $200

both in NY.

Sorry bout wrong spot... (to me 93 is but a blur..)...

Well, only from the general location (and again, 2 mechanics, one from a local tranny shop whom I'm considering doing the EJ25\4EAT swap on my OBW) have indicated tranny... sure its not wheel bearings or differential (it growls in neutral when I let the clutch out... goes away when I put the clutch in).

Any way to tell about throwout or pilot bearing? Car shifts fine (no grinding)

Really seems like it "drags" (somehow seems hung.... getting rotten mileage and it doesnt seem to be coasting well...), almost feel like something is dragging..

Would a pilot or throwout make it easier (cheaper) than just swapping a used tranny in?

Gary, you continue to amaze.... (and I actually consider myself resourceful!).... starting to get into "reasonably priced" EJ25's...

Thanks,

John

first make sure it's not something simple. you've already verified it's internal to the trans? you sure it's not a throwout bearing or pilot bearing? or not rear diff, wheel bearing related.

used $150yes and yes - drop trans and install a new used one.

1-800-634-7964 $150

1-518-893-0151 $200

both in NY.

john,

you might not need a new transmission. a friend of mine has an XT6 that growls. you start the car car the clutch in and all if fine. as soon as you let the clutch out (in neutral still) it growls something fierce. i mean - hardcore growling, like you think it's going to blow up. drives fine if you can tolerate tryihng to drive it making that noise anyway. i posted in the old generation forum about this and over at http://www.xt6.net about it and the consensus was "input shaft bearing" or "bad throw out bearing". i'll have to drop the trans to see. all that to say - you may not need a new trans. but at only $150 it might not be a bad idea to have an extra when you finally dig in to see if it's a clutch or trans issue.

gary

Hi,

Roger on all that. It sounds very close to what I've got (only my growl is still at a pretty reasonable level...). Have found a local Subaru Master Mechanic who I'm talking to about my EJ25 swap, so may see what he might charge to swap this MT... The old girl actually drives strong and swift... so wouldnt at all mind having something that'd take me through the Winter....

Thanks again,

John

john,

you might not need a new transmission. a friend of mine has an XT6 that growls. you start the car car the clutch in and all if fine. as soon as you let the clutch out (in neutral still) it growls something fierce. i mean - hardcore growling, like you think it's going to blow up. drives fine if you can tolerate tryihng to drive it making that noise anyway. i posted in the old generation forum about this and over at http://www.xt6.net about it and the consensus was "input shaft bearing" or "bad throw out bearing". i'll have to drop the trans to see. all that to say - you may not need a new trans. but at only $150 it might not be a bad idea to have an extra when you finally dig in to see if it's a clutch or trans issue.

gary

I'll bet it's the front Thrust bearing, or front main shaft snout. I've only come across one of these, but unless you know someone who can machine this, it requires the front casing to be replaced. That is If this is the cause and YES it does make noise when the clutch in out and the front main shaft is spinning. The noise will get worse, and may contaminate the clutch itself and require a new flywheel and pressure plate.

F&S in Roxbury Ct. refer to it on their website. I used to deal with them in the 80's and 90's. but lately they have become more expensive.

http://www.fsautoparts.com/

From Monroe, I don't know of any local good mechanics around ( there may be some as I lived in Florida NY in the 80's and there were none then ). I would stay away from Feders or Kolb. I used to drive to Liberty ( Oradell NJ ) for parts and warranty work. But do my own for all else.

Pardon my ignorance, but are the Thrust bearings or Main Shaft Snout things that would be contained within a used tranny (which a swap for would replace)?

Wow... actually lived in downtown Florida (NY) for about 8 months.. really sweet little town (though a group of neighbors from hell drove me further East, into Monroe).

The Subaru Master Tech guy is from Kolb (I think), have only had phone conversations with him but *really* like the idea of someone working on my car who looks at these all days (versus someone who wants to use my engine compartment as his class-room). So far he seems pretty up on a 2.2 for a 2.5 swap on a 96 OBW (including the exhaust and EGR configs) and the prices we've discussed are in the ball park, so will see where it goes.

Thanks for the update.

John

I'll bet it's the front Thrust bearing, or front main shaft snout. I've only come across one of these, but unless you know someone who can machine this, it requires the front casing to be replaced. That is If this is the cause and YES it does make noise when the clutch in out and the front main shaft is spinning. The noise will get worse, and may contaminate the clutch itself and require a new flywheel and pressure plate.

F&S in Roxbury Ct. refer to it on their website. I used to deal with them in the 80's and 90's. but lately they have become more expensive.

http://www.fsautoparts.com/

From Monroe, I don't know of any local good mechanics around ( there may be some as I lived in Florida NY in the 80's and there were none then ). I would stay away from Feders or Kolb. I used to drive to Liberty ( Oradell NJ ) for parts and warranty work. But do my own for all else.