Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm picking up my "brand new 1999 forester s" 5 speed this morning from the dealer. It has 80k miles on it. Any suggestions on what fluids I need to check/replace? The motor oil has just been changed, along with the filter. I am so excited to pick this car up. It's so cherry. Thanks for any advice.

I'm picking up my "brand new 1999 forester s" 5 speed this morning from the dealer. It has 80k miles on it. Any suggestions on what fluids I need to check/replace? The motor oil has just been changed, along with the filter. I am so excited to pick this car up. It's so cherry. Thanks for any advice.

Congratulations on finding the unusual 's 5 speed! I have the auto.

I would also call the preveous owner to try and: find what has or has not been done to the car, if it had problems, etc,.

If not done or unknown I would replace the: Tranny oil, differential fluid, radiator fluid, radiator hoses, pcv valve, air filter, and fuel filter as well run sefoam through the gas tank. None of these are expensive and on 7 year old car can prolong its life, and improve its performance.

If you change the radiator fluid, be sure to add the Subaru Conditioner (costs only a couple bucks), this is to prevent head gasket leaks. I have never had any cooling related problems from adding it to the car.