Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rebuilding the ditch witch - part 2

well, took several weekends, and a few gallons of kerosene to keep it warm enough to work & paint, but the rust repair around the windshield area of Hildy is pretty much complete. It isnt a perfect job by any means, but it will do nicely. cant wait to get the new glass installed

to get a look at what she looked like when I started, see http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67677

here is what it looks like now ...

yeah, not too shabby for a rush job in the dead of winter by a FEMALE!! LOL :cool:

seriously, if you look closly you can see bumps and shallow spots. made most of the repairs with fiberglass, in the interest of saving time. Did have to cut out the worst spot on the passenger side and weld in a patch, then fiberglassed the rest.

had the weather been more cooperative i could have done a bit better job...will still probably out last the rest of the car! :grin:

Phizinza - wish I knew somebody that could do it for me, would get done a whole lot quicker!!:D but since money is more of an issue than time...well guess i will have to do it myself. besides, i like having the satisfaction of doing stuff like this myself. :cool:

I agree with you on this one. I like saying what I've done with the car. Guess I'm just a bit of a show off, haha.

Looks great so far. You'll barely see any of that when the glass is in and the plastics are back on. I like it when old Subarus get brought back to life :)

thanks guys, yeah it feels great to keep the ol girl going.

I knew there was gonna be rust under there, but had no idea it was as bad as it was.

Still have a little more work to do before she hits the road again - replacing front fenders, and hood just because i can. need to do something about the rear quarter eventually where it got smashed in...

and clean the interior! it is amazing how one cup of coffee can get EVERYWHERE when ya go for a wild spin!! :lol:

oh yeah....anyone know if I can fix the back of the seat? it aparently got torqued when i went in the ditch and now it is leaned back too far and off kilter, and wont lock in position but the one it is in. is it possible to unbolt/whatever and realign?

Nice Job!!..so when do you want to fix Buckys rust around the windshield:grin: ..his is all up the pillars and along the top...I used a full tube of clear silicone to keep it from leaking....So once I have the XT6 on the road I am shipping Bucky to you right???;):brow:

You dont wanna do that Connie, I might have to keep him a loooonnnnnggggg time to fix all that!! :grin:

not that hard to do really. made a couple of attempts at welding in some of the holes, but the metal was so thin it just burned right thru even on the lowest setting, so out came the fiberglass.

no, it wont last forever, but neither will the car. should last long enough tho.