Ultimate Subaru Message Board

buying a brat with a weber

Hello all I am buying a brat from a board member with a weber conversion on it and I am wondering about emmissions. here in st louis MO we have safety inspections with a separate smog test where they run the car on a dyno. Doesnt the weber conversion take away most of the emissions control systems? anyone have a weber conversion in an area that does smog test have any problems??:confused:

Thanks,

Tim:D

here in portland they only do emissions testing no safety testing. here there is a couple of cool things about subarus when you get tested, one they assume all subarus are AWD and there for you dont go on the dyno rollers. and two when you just go for the tail pipe sniffer test they only care if what is coming out of your tail pipe is clean.

they had some plans to test your evaporatior system but they never went forward on that. and now i have heard rumors that any car older then 96 will get the tail pipe test only. no more dynos. :banana:

check with your DEQ, do they do a under the hood inspection, if so you may be toast.

but ask the guy your buying it from, did he leave the emissions stuff hooked up.

In Colorado they use 2 and 4 wheel drive dyno's and I bet they do in St Louis too. Id say you better find an intake and carb with all the emissions stuff on it and return it to stock each year or two as required.

I think that might be another plus of the SPFI vs Weber conversions...the SPFI looks stock and retains all the emissions components.

The last brat i had passed the dyno but only after they jumped the car off he dyno because they assumed 4x4 meant it was a rear wheel drive it was REAL funny to watch I should have warned him when he put the car on the rollers but thought it would be funny and it was:lol::banana:

I have a hitachi setup but was hoping not to have to swap it I am happy it has the weber after hearing how much people like them but I guess time will tell after I get it home ad try it

Tim:horse: