Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help with pre-purchase info on Outbacks

Looking to buy an Outback (year 99-95). Looking for any help with common problems with this range of years. Looking for a 4cyl with manual transmision. Also, does Subaru have any trany. problems with their automatics?

Since I'm trying to stay in 6,000-7,000 dollar range I would imagine it will have over 100,000 miles.

Thanks for any help

Let's see if I can get one in before nipper!

Good cars, loyal following, too many reasons to list.

2.2 motor excellent

2.5 had head gasket issues, not all, just some, be prepared if it's not been changed, ~$1200 repair

auto tranny is solid

awd portion of the drive train can have problems if neglected by owner

(search torque bind)

Timing belt needs replaced at 105k miles (interference engine) also factor into price

I have a 97 with 120k miles no problems.

rd

Let's see if I can get one in before nipper!

Good cars, loyal following, too many reasons to list.

2.2 motor excellent

2.5 had head gasket issues, not all, just some, be prepared if it's not been changed, ~$1200 repair

auto tranny is solid

awd portion of the drive train can have problems if neglected by owner

(search torque bind)

Timing belt needs replaced at 105k miles (interference engine) also factor into price

I have a 97 with 120k miles no problems.

rd

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

no fair

you forgot to make sure the tires match, if its a manual or auto and they dont be prepared for an AWD repair in the future. Drive the car in a tight cricle to check for TB. It should move slowly and with little or no gas.

nipper

get the EJ22 - 2.2 liter motor. type in "headgasket" on the search function rather than rehash all of that here.

check for torqe bind when you're buying the car. after you get it, replace the ATF.

do those two things and you got a stellar car. don't do those and you probably still have a stellar car, just a little more risky.

you'll also want to take into consideration when the timing belts were last changed. if you end up with a 1997 or newer 2.2 liter motor or any 2.5 liter motor, they are interference engines, which means if the timing belt breaks very bad things happen inside the engine. and even for reliability you'll want to know when any motor has had the timing belt replaced. if the owner doesn't know you'll want to plan on that expesne right away - timing belt and possibly water pump depending on mileage. timing belt jobs can run up to $700 depending who's doing it and what all is being replaced.

96 was the first year for the real outback, and the only year the 2.2 was available in the outback, it only came with the 5 sp manual transmission.

Outbacks with lots of miles may need struts, cv boots, clutches, the fuel guage is very inaccurate, the heater control almost always has burned out lamps, etc, etc. This is pretty normal stuff for a car with lots of miles.

The 2.2 is much better in terms of reliability than the 2.5, do a search on head gaskets on this web site, you will see for yourself.

The one thing that amazes me is that even high mileage outbacks (cars are more then just engines) are fairly solid. Usually everything still works (except 1/2 the drivers seat heater), no real squeeks, a few rattles. Now compare any outback with 200,000 miles to any other car in the same price range (when new) with that many miles and the other will have a lot more issues.

At 202,000 miles my car needs struts. Now to me thats damn impressive. I am the second owner, the first never did suspension work. The only reson i know it needs struts was due to high speed right curves where the car is a bit scary, but lefts are fine. If it wasnt for that I wouldnt even know i had a weak strut.

nipper