Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help 82 brat ignition switch ( Thanks to all for help it's replaced )

not that difficult really. make sure you disconnect your battery. hardest part for me was disconnecting the harness under the dash. really hard to pull apart.

I'am confused; It looks like i need to pull the steering shaft if i have to change the whole ignition assembly,there is'nt a way to just pull the tumblers out and replace.

Just went thru this one my '86. I have extra columns here and looking at them it just looked like to much work to swap the key switch. So I opted to just pull the whole column out, swap trim pieces and install a good one.

Not sure how one would pull the lock tumblers out of the switch, so I can't help there.

sorry my bad. i thought you were just wanting to reolace the switch not the entire housing. THAT is a real pain in the rump roast. it is held on by 2 rivits that you will have to drill out in order to get it off the collum, and remove the steering wheel.

Just went thru this one my '86. I have extra columns here and looking at them it just looked like to much work to swap the key switch. So I opted to just pull the whole column out, swap trim pieces and install a good one.

Not sure how one would pull the lock tumblers out of the switch, so I can't help there.

that would definitly be easier.

Is it the tumblers or the switch itself causing the problem? If it is the switch all you have to do is pull the plastic cover (5 screws?) and undo the two screws that hold the switch to the tumbler assembly. If it is the tumbler assembly there are two breakaway bolts that hold it in. You can sometimes break them loose with a very small chisel but you should cut a slot in the heads before you reinstall.

sorry my bad. i thought you were just wanting to reolace the switch not the entire housing. THAT is a real pain in the rump roast. it is held on by 2 rivits that you will have to drill out in order to get it off the collum, and remove the steering wheel.

Thanks to all i sure was hoping there was an easy way to change.I thought

i might have miss a hidden pin in ignition so i could pull tumblers.gonna pull

steering mech. and change.