Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Door Lock Swap?

So I went out to get my laptop out of the hatch a few minutes ago and couldn't unlock the drivers door. The passenger side was fine and so was the hatch but a total no go on the drivers door. I noticed small chunks or metal in the groove on my door key a while back, so I'm guessing the cylnder is pooped out.

My question is this, can I just pop off the door panels and swap the cylnder from the passenger door to the drivers side? I really don't need to open the passenger side with a key, but I do need to be able to lock and open this car because I leave most of my junk in it (i.e. IPOD, guitars, laptop).

Will it work or am I gonna have to find a whole new set of locks and get in thru the passenger side all ghetto like until then?

a good locksmith should be able to

a: fix your current broken cylender

or b: rekey a junkyard cylender to work with you current key

Well, since I haven't worked since like September, I'm really diggin' a free solution, like swapping the cylinder first... will it work?

If I was gonna go that far, I'd find some one on here with a complete lock set (ignition, doors, hatch) since I already have a non matching ignition switch key (I hate two keys!). If anyone is parting out a hatch and has the whole setup I'd be open to it, but if not I don't really want to dump any more money into mismatched locks if I don't have to.

Having the old locks re keyed really is not that expensive. I would at least get an estimate before bothering to change all the locks. However, I feel your pain, at the moment as it were.

Switching the cylinders should work, but I cant say that with any subaru-specific knowledge in this particular arena. 99% of the cars I've ever seen could be done that way, though.

Pull the door panel off and take a look for yourself. The answer should be obvious enough.. and if there are any pitfalls like a vital 20 year old plastic piece likely to break, hopefully someone on the board will post here before you break it :grin: I highly doubt it, though. As long as you are reasonably gentle with any old plastic hardware (software?) involved you should be kosher.

I have an 88 hatchback that I'm parting out. The motor is shot and the tranny has been removed. I've pulled out about everything I need. I did look into pulling the ignition switch out to put in my 91 loyale, but it looked like too much work. They have shear head screws in them. You'd have to drill them out. I'll try to pull the door lock cylinders out this weekend if your interested. Send me a pm with your address. If I get em out without too much trouble I'll send them to you.

I have an 88 hatchback that I'm parting out. The motor is shot and the tranny has been removed. I've pulled out about everything I need. I did look into pulling the ignition switch out to put in my 91 loyale, but it looked like too much work. They have shear head screws in them. You'd have to drill them out. I'll try to pull the door lock cylinders out this weekend if your interested. Send me a pm with your address. If I get em out without too much trouble I'll send them to you.

Actually, what kind of shape is the rest of the car in? I need a fair amount of stuff for my hatch and some stuff for my cousins wagon. I wouldn't mind coming down and checking out what you've got if it's ok.

I guess the major parts are in decent order. (fenders,doors,glass) . I've stripped a lot from it and my 9 year old son has dismantled a lot of the smaller stuff. He loves Subaru's and is having a blast just taking stuff apart. I've started training the next generation!

What in particular are you looking for?

I'll try to post a pic tomorrow

I guess the major parts are in decent order. (fenders,doors,glass) . I've stripped a lot from it and my 9 year old son has dismantled a lot of the smaller stuff. He loves Subaru's and is having a blast just taking stuff apart. I've started training the next generation!

What in particular are you looking for?

I'll try to post a pic tomorrow

Uh, I need fenders, passenger side door, hood, seats lots of other odds and ends. My cousin needs a bumper and grille. I've been looking for someone parting out a hatch in VA. Let me know, my schedule is pretty wide open, so whatever time would be good for you for me to come down will be ok, I'll be there with tools in hand. I'm always looking for a road trip anyhow.....

Is it a GL, DL or standard....FWD or 4WD?