Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A new addition?

Stumbeled across this neat place when I was searching for info on a BRAT. I have a 2.5 currently and I commute a lot and I'm really tired of putting all those miles on my RS...that, and I'd like a new toy.

I'm looking into getting a BRAT. There is one on ebay that has a bit of tailgait damage and is going for about $1,600 and from what I'm seeing is a pretty decent price.

The only thing I don't like about it, is that it's carburated. I have had carburated cars before and I just odn't like dealing with them...but it's a Subaru, so I guess I can deal with it. lol

My questions are for BRAT owners:

Overall, are you happy with your BRAT? Are they pretty 'reliable' as long as general maintance is done...and is there something that is pretty common in BRATs? (besides a bit of rust) Are the expensive to maintain if the break down? I know sometimes parts are hard to find since they are older cars.

Thanks everyone!

Good points: they run practically forever, easy to work on, mechanically parts are same as any other EA81 (wagon, coupe, etc) so you can pick up just about anything from junkyards easily. The tailgates are about the toughest part to find as it's obviously Brat-specific.

Bad points: typical Subaru rust issues (especially around the windows), low power output no matter what you do to the engine, lousy 4-speed gear ratios, obscure bolt pattern.

If you want EFI, go for an EA81-T if you can find one as they are MPFI, or retrofit from an EA82 (see posts by GD, etc, in the retrofitting area).

Dean.

Stumbeled across this neat place when I was searching for info on a BRAT. I have a 2.5 currently and I commute a lot and I'm really tired of putting all those miles on my RS...that, and I'd like a new toy.

I'm looking into getting a BRAT. There is one on ebay that has a bit of tailgait damage and is going for about $1,600 and from what I'm seeing is a pretty decent price.

The only thing I don't like about it, is that it's carburated. I have had carburated cars before and I just odn't like dealing with them...but it's a Subaru, so I guess I can deal with it. lol

My questions are for BRAT owners:

Overall, are you happy with your BRAT? Are they pretty 'reliable' as long as general maintance is done...and is there something that is pretty common in BRATs? (besides a bit of rust) Are the expensive to maintain if the break down? I know sometimes parts are hard to find since they are older cars.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome! :)

About the Carburetor, to deal with the Hitachi stock is a Headache; I suggest that if the stock is Bad, Change it with a Weber 32/36 Carb. Its the Simpliest way to Increase Performance and Gain Beautyful Simplicity in a Carbed EA81... but Check Emmissions Regulations in your State First.

Also you can Install the EA82 MPFI Intake, here you can do a Search ´bout, there´s a Lot of info.

Good Luck!

yah, these older soobies were made outta legos. adding the fuel injection (spfi, not the MPFI) from a later (ea82, 1.8L SOHC mid 80s to early 90s) car can be done relatively easily.. GD is sure to chime in shortly...

You can also swap around the obscure wheel lug pattern to have more wheel and suspension options..

Alot of us simply default to Wagons, though. That way we can go ahead and just get the spfi ea82 in the first place, the mileage is in the 30 range (with 2wd at least) and the price drops a zero or so off. hard to turn down a 200 dollar car sometimes....

good luck, these older subes were pieces of cake to work on and own. quite possibly the most modern car i ever plan on driving, for myself.