Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trailer Hitch suggestions?????

Getting ready to have a hitch installed on 99 legacy gt and wondered if anyone had any suggestions about which one to buy or not to buy!! Ya, I know.. buy the one that comes with a new clutch, right!! Anything else?

thanks..

Elliott in Idaho

this guy is parting out a 90 legacy a/t, awd, 200k miles and it has a hitch. i don't know it will fit but i don't know it won't. my guess you could get the hitch and hardware for cheap.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/pts/255811840.html

I have a hidden hitch on my 03 legacy. Is was easy to install. Check out E Trailer.com. They had the tail light converter also. Only thing I found out after a few hours of looking is that the legacy does not have the trailer connector in the back like the Outback does. However it does have an open fuse in the fuse block and it was easy to connect up.

• 4 weeks later...

i have removed a 'valley' trailer hitch off a donor 97 OBW to install on my 97 OBW. it's easy to remove, but........

2 of the mounting bolts insert horizintally thourgh the hicht frame and through the 2 tie down brackets on the rear of the car frame. there is a spacer and a flange for each bolt. pretty easy to attach and tighten.

the other 2 bolts hang down vertically from the frame member, apparently there is a collar or something around the head (inside the frame member) so it won't spin when you tighten it.

here's the problem, i can't find the opening in the frame membver or the area inside the car thast allows me to insert the bolt. (i haven't figured out to remove them from the donor car yet.) any body done this and can lend some advice. the location of the bolts appears to be underr the permanmently mounted floor panels on either side of the spare tire compartment.

any suggestions?? i'm sure there is a way to remove these panels, but i can't sem to figure it out.

edit: where do i look for the trailer lights pigtail?

thanks, john