Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 OBW wheels fit on a '98 OBW?

Hello,

Sorry, I didn't have time to search for this question. I have the opportunity to buy a set of '96 OBW alloy wheels with good winter tires for my '98 OBW. The tire size should be the same--is the wheel size/backspacing/lug pattern/lug type the same? I don't care if the actual rim style is different between the years. I just want to know if they'll fit.

Every Subaru of the new generation up to 2004 (Legacy, Impreza, Outback, Forester) uses the exact same bolt pattern and offset. The bolt pattern is 5x100 and I forget what the offset is.

The SVX does NOT use the same bolt pattern and neither does the new (2005-2006) Impreza WRX (which happens to use the same bolt pattern as the SVX).

You should be fine since it's the same generation and model.

In addition to the exceptions noted above, there are differences in the wheel offset between the New Gen models. Mainly 48 vs 55mm, not sure if that is a significant difference in the long run.

There is some good info somewhere.. lemme see if i can find it.

update: Figures, it was in the sticky FAQ :) -- http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=426386&postcount=8

Looks like another good reference here, but maybe more impreza specific:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=216055

Enjoy.