Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my speedo is jumping around ,when i first start off , [ 95 legacy L wagoon] , i was reading that it's a plastic piece on the tranny side ,could some one give me the oem part # so i can call the dealer for the part , also i have noticed the belt acts like it is slipping , but it is a new belt or is is coming from the timing belt area, possible ,did research ,should i get a new speedo cable , and of course the cluster has to come out , the cruise control works fine ,

my speedo is jumping around ,when i first start off , [ 95 legacy L wagoon] , i was reading that it's a plastic piece on the tranny side ,could some one give me the oem part # so i can call the dealer for the part , also i have noticed the belt acts like it is slipping , but it is a new belt or is is coming from the timing belt area, possible ,did research ,should i get a new speedo cable , and of course the cluster has to come out , the cruise control works fine ,
tje

i don't think the 95 has a speedo cable. i know the 96 didn't. the VSS#2 is mounted on the right front of the trans and sends , by wire, the speed info to the instrument cluster. i don't know the part number, but it is called the Varible Speed Sensor #2. (VSS#1 is on the rear extention housing where the AWD ius located.) it's about 3 inches long, threads in to the housing, and has a wire connector on top.

Sorry Jim, I don't know about your 95.

The electric VSS (if equiped) and speedo cable both connect

at the place on the diff.

From the pictures on the thread you can find out which

you have.

Sorry it didn't help more.

well aleast i will know where to look, thanks

yes it can be changed in the car.

the id plate mounted on the strut tower driver side under the hood will give you the tranny number, TZ102ZAAAA or ...ABAA are both AWD. or just look under the car to see if it has a rear drive shaft.

you can got to ganuine subaru parts < https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html > and put in your car info, then under keyword type in speedomerte sensor or vss. it might take a bit , but if it returns a part description and price , it will also list the years that part is good for. like this

SPEEDOMETER SENSOR, Legacy, Manual Trans 95-99 $95.62 $69.99

SPEEDOMETER SENSOR, Legacy, Auto Trans 95-99 $89.78 $65.72

if you order from there ask for jamie, she's a board member here.

john