Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 Brat Distributor questions

My 82 brat has an intermittant spark to the #1 plug and we think its some kind of problem with the pickup in the coil in the distributor.

We had pulled out it's distributor (which matches the one in my 85 brat) and replaced it with one from an 82 (non-brat) from the junkyard becuse the cap was not fitting on properly and the vacuume advance wasn't working. We also saw that the plug wire configuration did not match the manual. After the new disty got in, we started having this intermittant spark issue. We also think we might have accidently dropped the "E-clip" from the vacume advance tie-down into the disty...but could not find it or get it out. We're wondering if that could be causing the problem of intermittant spark.

We of course don't know if the junkyard disty is REALLY an 82, or just a transplant. The one we removed from MY 82 matches the one in my 85 exactly....so we are assuming it to be an 85.

Anyone know if there's a way to tell the difference, or make a positive identification of one or the other? The caps have different hold-down nubs, and the plug wire configuration appears to be different, Both are electronic with vacuume advance devices.

thanks

There are 4 different (all correct) plug wire oreintations depending on how you align the distributor rotor. Manuals (for obvious reasons) only show you one of the possible 4.

There are only 2 possible distributors for an EA81. Nippon-Denso, and Hitachi. Here's the detail on the difference:

EA81_disty_compare.jpg

Intermittant spark is usually a result of worn distributor bushings. Check for side to side play in the shaft.

GD

If I've learned anything here, and I hope I have, the '82 - '86 NA disty's are interchangeable. (if I'm wrong, I humbly beg forgiveness) The firing order is based on the motor, not the disty. Though, this changes when you start throwing in different modules and ECM control. Dropping the 'E' clip in there isn't going to affect one cyl only. If it got loose in the works and stayed loose, it would screw up all cyls intermittently. The disty uses either Hall effect or magnectic reluctor set-up. With either, if the airgap beteen the pick-up and the vane is damage, altered or blocked... misfire! Check for a damaged vane (under the rotor in the base). If you don't find one, you most likely have a cap, wire or plug issue. Can't remember ever hearing of a disty itself causing a single cyl. misfire.

BTW, other than the probs you mentioned, was the motor running correct with the original disty?

Thank you both so much - your info is very hepful.

The engine was running ok except that it was not accepting fuel at the first push of the pedal, and we started thinking "accellerator pump". But when we looked closely at the disty, we saw that the cap had no nubs therefore could not hold it's orientation perfectly. The new cap from the parts store was the same, so we looked in the 85 and started thinking too much. That's when i pulled the 82 at the JY thinking the problem was from someone putting the wrong one in. We also found that the advance diaphram was not holding vacuume, and have since found and installed a good one.

we also discovered the intake and exhaust valves were adjusted opposite to correct (exhausts set to intake gaps and vice-versa) Not sure what this was doing to it, but they are now corrected.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out the primary problem was a dead spark plug. Complications included the non-functioning vacuume advance, the fact that the valves were set to the wrong specs (advance gapped to exhaust specs and vise-versa) and old cracked plug wires.

I bought this Brat cheap because the seller thought it needed a new engine or a re-build. Lucky me.