Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale Spring Upgrade

I've read about people using 86-89 honda accord front springs for their cars rear springs. I would like to raise my loyale's rear so that it is level, maybe just slightly higher than the front. The accord springs raise the rear too much for me. Does anyone know of any other springs that could be used to do this?

I've read about people using 86-89 honda accord front springs for their cars rear springs. I would like to raise my loyale's rear so that it is level, maybe just slightly higher than the front. The accord springs raise the rear too much for me. Does anyone know of any other springs that could be used to do this?
Please see my post #23 in the following thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=382095

are there any springs that we know will work from another car i could get from a junkyard? a friend of mine has the hookup and can get me parts cheap:headbang:
Look for 2.5" inside diameter springs (very common for coilovers). The original free length is 13.8". Anything shorter can be made up by getting the cheap coilover sleeves from eBay. I have a set of the sleeves and will be putting 12" 225 lbs Eibach springs on the back of my car to control the height and increase the spring rate slightly.

ive worked on a few cars in my day, but im not too familiar with the suspension systems on cars.

Would I just take springs from donor car and swap with my stock ones?

Yes, the Honda Accord is your best bet if you can get them cheap (there is a limited market here, too). However, they have a very high spring rate and they are a bit taller. So a cut off wheel is your friend.

What do you mean by cut off wheel? And with the accord springs, i noticed that the back end was a little too high for my liking. I just want to level the car out so it doesnt look like im draggin my rear
Cut the length of the Honda Accord springs until the car is at the level you want. Since they are taller and of higher spring rate (they won't settle as much when the car is put on the ground).

A Dremel works quite well. Wear eye protection.

Swapping out the rear springs can take more than hour the 1st time. I can confidently do the rear of my car within an hour now since I have taken them apart a few times. It is a simple job but tedious the 1st time. Good luck

Your link are to coilovers. Coilovers is just that the spring coil is over the spring (i.e. shock through the spring). It also usually allows height adjustments by the means of a threaded collar. Make sure that you get the coilovers for the years of Honda Accord you mentioned earlier.

The kit I have is similar to the link. The sleeves allow height adjustment as long as the springs are shorter which they are. However, the springs that came with my kit are 450 lbs/in and 350 lbs/in. Way to high of a spring rate in my opinion for the Subaru. If you get those sleeves. Adjust them only when the car is in the air or risk damaging the sleeves.

Subaru_Styles lowered his GL/Loyale (same car different names). You might want to contact him. I believe he used a kit similar to what you linked to earlier.

• 1 month later...
friend of mine recommends lowering my car. Assuming these springs have the right ID/OD, would I be able to do it with something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-ACCORD-90-93-91-SILVER-COILOVER-LOWERING-SPRINGS_W0QQitemZ220070023984QQihZ012QQcategoryZ33582QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and what are coil-overs?

The ones in your link are coilovers.. Similar to these

82Picture_064.jpg

Which helped get the car from this:

82Picture_0011.jpg

To this:

82Picture_116.jpg

calebz, what coilovers did you use specifically(what yr/model), and do the coilovers take place of the springs, correct? And what size tires are you running? Looks like you did the 5lug swap?

My coilovers were for a 2002 WRX. No idea what brand - Ebay special. Yes, they take the place of the stock springs. My current tire size is 205/55/16 - Potenza RE92s.

And yup.. theres a 5 lug swap in there somewhere too:)