Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 GL Wagon Running at High Temps

Hello. I thank you in advance for your time.

Here is the dilemma: The beautiful lady-friend has an '88 GL wagon. As of late, the temperature gauge is floating just below or just inside the much feared "orange zone".

Facts as I see them that might be relevant: 1. About two months ago there were drops of coolant on our driveway. I searched all over--hoses, radiator, etc--but was unable to locate the leak. There has been no evidence of this leak since that time, though the issue with the engine temperature started soon afterward. 2. When the vehicle is run with the heat on full-bore, the temperature gauge tends to go down. 3. We live in Alaska and the car is kept outside in very cold temperatures. (I am not sure how relevant this fact is.)

Recommendations I have already received and am looking to narrow down: 1. change the thermostat 2. change the water pump 3. change the head gasket 4. flush the radiator 5. pull the car in a garage, allow it to warm-up, and any ice in the radiator will melt 6. replace/flush the radiator 7. any combination of the afore-mentioned recommendations.

Any light that can be shed upon the situation would be greatly appreciated. Again, thank you for your time.

Josh

If it is an SPFI model, check the connection of the Coolant tempature sensor, the one with 2 wires. Make sure it has good contact and test the continuity. it should not be 0 or infnity. Somewhere in between, varying with temp. Check service manual for value. If it is bad or getting bad contact, the ignition timing is affected and can cause overheating.

head gasket is what you do when you rule everything else out. Flush the radiator before you do a head gasket. While you've got the flushing agent in it (or before you add it I guess) it's a good idea to swap the heater core hoses so the coolant will flow in reverse through it. Then do the rest of the fushing, and switch it back when you're done before refill. Cleans out the sludge and helps the heat inside.

New radiator, hoses, and thermostat probably fix ya right up.

You have verified that it actually *has* coolant in there right? Could be why it's overheating :rolleyes:

I'm guessing being Alaska things are a bit rusty? The 20 year old subaru radiators just disintigrate in rusty conditions. The fins rot off and they can develop leaks.

GD

the mystery drops are water pump or metal lines going into it.. you have air in the system even after it stops. be sure its full, if engine sounds good just keep driving. The sensor checks could even come after verifying thermostat. A sticky thermostat chooses the rubber seal in the pump to let go of pressure if cap at radiator isn't releasing before the water pump does it. Don't run without one- the bypass for heat route gets bypassed and engine isn't as cool as you may get a reading for.

In alaska, did you get any fast cold snaps lately? that attacks mine every year.. never to worry if there is drops, but the high temp reading isn't good no doubt.If engine sounds good,and consumption is stopped fixes are cheap. :)

Let's be honest here... the real dilema is that this really great car is owned by a beautiful ladyfriend. You must come to terms with the fact that if you fix the ailing car, she might use it to drive off down the road and you'll never see her--or the car--again. Perhaps it would be best to fix the car---but not so well that she would feel confident enough to take a long trip in...

:clap:

I've had quite a collection of '88 GLs---all of them have had cooling problems of one sort or another.

Without visual signs of a loss of coolant, I would look to replacing the thermostat. Twice I have checked out a suspect thermostat in a saucepan of water on the stove---watching a (dairy!) thermometer for the moment when the thingy begins to open and when it was full-open. In BOTH tests, even though it seemed the devices were working OK, replacing them with new thermostats solved the higher-than-normal heat problems I was having.

Another time I had a bad fan clutch. Yet another time I had a partially clogged radiator. "Borrowing" these parts from my well-picked-over junk car was a most economical solution.

-----

Once you fix this car, I think you owe it to all who have responded to this thread to post a picture of of the car---preferably with the smiling, beautiful girlfriend standing right alongside the car. Actually, it would be just fine if you left the car out of the picture...

;)