Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stockpiling parts for 86 turbowagon

So I've been gone about 5 years but it's good to be back, spiffy new web site!

My 86 ea82 turbowagon patiently waited for me while I was at school. It still runs great and I want to drive it till it turns 40. Should I be stockpiling parts? Do they stop making them at some point? The car will be a weekend/occasional driver.

Also I need to replace the gaskets in the rear diff as they are leaking. Any recommendations on where to get the parts?

Thanks for the help

Greg

Keep an eye on the cooling system. Radiators are readily available, get a 2 row if your in the market for one. I would get a reseal kit for the oil pump and the front of the engine (crank seal, cam seals) and maybe a water pump. The seals, including the ones for the rear diff are available from the dealer, only use OEM for these parts. A PCV, again OEM is another part to replace. Check all the belts and hoses also, the car has been sitting for a long time and they are probably dry rotted.

And one other thing. Do you live in a rural area? If so, I would be wary of trespassing/squatting rodents in your heater ducts.