Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire removal 93 Loyale

Am I missing something here? I wanted to pop the front tires of my Loyale to inspect brakes but I can't remove the tires even with the lug nuts off. Having only owned the car for a few days can some one enlighten me as to how I remove the tires before I start hitting the rims with my sledge hammer.

Sounds like your rims are rusted onto the hubs :eek:

I think a BFH or some swift kicking on the tire is in order, as they should come right off with all four lugnuts removed.

Bingo! Break out the sledge or some steel-toed boots.

Every once in a while I have to give mine a swift kick to break 'em loose. Even after a light coating of anti-seize they stick at times. These salt-riddled MN winters kill any exposed metal.

You can loosen the lug nuts a turn or 2 from fully tight, then let the car down onto the tires. If they haven't broken loose yet, push on the car and rock it sideways. If that doesn't work, slowly drive around the block with loose lugnuts.

A prybar that's the right shape can also pry the rusty rims off.

When putting the rims back on, either coat the mating surfaces with old grease, or with some anti-seize. That will keep them loose enough for the next time you take the rims off.

Great ideas, I like the one about lowering the car on the tires. I only bought the car for a winter ride but I have come to like it, especially the 4 wheel drive and gas milage. Rust is a problem but I'm thinking maybe I'll invest some time and fix it up. Next stop is a repair manual.

Cheers!!

I usually just spray alittle PB Blaster around the hub...wait a minute and give it a good swift kick.Welcome to the world of Subarus...I have had my 92 Loyale for 4 years now and havent regretted it once ( and its just a FWD one) Treat it right and it will take care of you.;)

Here's a good read

Getting rusted wheel off

Thats what I was looking for. I stuck to researching articles in the Old forum. I never thought I was ever going to post a question suchs as that! The wife just stared at me when I told her the tires wouldnt come off. Very embarrasing. This ranks right up there with asking her for some vasaline followed by my comment not now I got work to do in the garage. Seems my new Subaru had a stripped spark plug. Not a problem I thought. I was aware of Heli coils. What I coudnt figure out was how to stop the metal from the drilling and tapping process from entering the cylinder. Guy at the auto store says use vasaline on the end of the cutter and drill bit. He was right. Worked great. Wife on the other hand thought I was loosin it. First the vasaline and now I can't get the tires off. I need that repair manual soon!!!