Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 2.2 into a '96 2.5 egr question

I searched around but couldn't find anything on this.

Problem: the 2.2 I bought has no egr on the manifold. has dual exhaust ports, but how do I remedy the egr issue when swapping into the 96? Any related wiring issues?

Also, the 2.2 is from a 5 speed and the 96 is an auto. That OK?

Thanks for the help.

The only difference between auto and manual on the 95 is the EGR... For some reason some threads don't mention that or tell people the donor 95 should be from an automatic. I'm doing the same swap, hopefully this weekend, but my motor came from an automatic so it should be plug and play. Coincidentally, I own a 95 Manual Legacy. I can try to study the two engines and wiring tonight and see what I can come up with. I would imagine that everything would work, but the check engine light would always be on because there is no EGR there.

I took a closer look last night at the two intakes. There is actually a lot that is missing on the 95 manual intake. For one there is no EGR valve, but there are also a lot of Vaccum lines, and a few vaccum valves that are not there. On the Automatic there are two vaccum lines that run from passangers side of the engine to a valve bolted to the strut tower. That valve isn’t there on the manual car, and the hoses a routed a little differently. I’m really not sure what any of it does, but all probably relates to the EGR system.

Keith

Yes, that system is cumbersome. Besides the EGR valve itself, it involves backpressure transducer and actuating solenoid. Then there's atmospheric pressure sensor on the right strut tower. It also comes only with AT and, although not exactly a part of EGR system, the sensor signal is used to monitor its operation. And next to the sensor, there's a solenoid that switches pressure inputs betwen the intake manifold and the atmosphere. So there are vacuum hoses and hard lines everywhere.