Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone,

I'm new to these forums and I have a few questions so sorry about the legnthy post.

First Question:

95 Subaru Segacy (Around 180,000 miles), on most automatic transmissions I've seen before you change it into drive you have to push the break in, turn on the car, then you can press the button on the shifter. Whenever it's very cold out I've noticed it's not allowing me to do this, I press the button and it just acts like the break isn't pushed or the car isn't on.

The way I've gotten past this is repeatedly pressing the button on the shifter, after a while it finally lets me do it. I'm wondering if the lock mechanism within the steering wheel is locking or getting frozen shut if I could just spray some WD40 or something in there to take care of the issue so I don't have to sit in my parking lot for 5 to 10 minutes pressing the button when it's cold out.

Second Question:

Is it worth keeping my car or getting a new one? Currently it has 180,000 miles, it's a 1995 (I think LX) I have a cracked windshield, all the struts are shot and need to be replaced and it's got some rust on it (rust isn't an issue because my friend works at car paint shop and can do it for free) and a few other small problems. All in all the car runs very well other than the problems I've explained.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and possibly things to check for to check for to see if an expensive part is going to die anytime soon.

Thanks in advance.

-Tristan

If you are running at full voltage, you probably have a sticky relay or solenoid. Cold brings out the problems in everything. Do you hear a click when you press the brake and the button? If not its a switch or relay issue. If you hear a click its a solenoid issue.

Once a car starts showing rust thst not reparable, i start thinking twice about putting cash into it. On the other hand if your cashflow is tight, fix the car. Struts are a wear item and are reasonable to expect to need to replace.

nipper

There should be a solenoid at the shifter. It's a metal pin inside an electromagnet. If it's not there then sorry, I just haven't had many Soobs that old through the shop. Anyway remove center console for access. Find the interlock solenoid, easiest way is probably to keep hitting the brake with the car on till you see or hear it move since it still works somewhat. Pull it out, pull pin out, clean and lube (something thin),reassemble. My experience stops here cause the ones I did were pretty new. It would be a good time to get out the multimeter and make sure you've got full power and good ground before you put the console back in. Probably a good idea to check the pin for wear too before wasting time trying to get it to work.

Well, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the shifter (I could definetly be wrong) but it seems to be a problem with the thing in the ignition (I hear a sound near where I stick my keys when the button goes down successfully) Possibly that little mechanical thing somewhere in the steering wheel is getting stuck?