Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to 'read' my pressure plate and flywheel?

I don't have much experience 'reading' a clutch. My question is: Is there oil intrusion on the clutch? Are these hot spots on the wear areas? Any other comments?

Picture of the pressure plate

Picture of the flywheel

Background

A couple of weeks ago I spent about 6 hours total in 2 days drifting in the snow with my good tires on (14" Pugs with 195/75-14 Wildcat LT) I have had a major oil leak for a long time after I replaced the oil pump, timing belt, water pump because I didn't replace the front crankshaft seal (yeah I know... dumb dumb dumb).:banghead:

So, what did I do? I pulled the engine, new clutch, remanufactured PP and finished it off right with a re-seal of the motor. Started it up last night. Looking good so far.

Done:

• Engine Re-seal
    • OEM Oil Pan Gasket
    • OEM Head Gaskets
    • OEM Camshaft carrier seals (o-ring & seal)
    • OEM Front main crankshaft seal
    • OEM Rear main crankshaft seal
    • Clean & seal Camshaft carrier towers (took a long time because I really cleaned this up)
    • OEM Thermostat w/gasket
    • OEM Radiator cap
    • OEM Intake manifold gaskets
    • Replace Timing belts (re-time the engine)
    • Exhaust manifold gaskets
    • OEM Oil pump 'Mickey Mouse' and o-ring seals

[*]Replace motor mounts

[*]Replace transmission mount

[*]Replace Clutch cable

[*]Replace oxygen sensor

[*]Replace Clutch & pressure plate and flywheel

[*]Replace radiator (2 row CSK from radiator barn)

To do:

* pictures of the cylinders and head

Piston 1 & 3

Piston 2 & 4

Head for 1 & 3

Head for 2 & 4

Notice the original honing marks? :D

Feel free to comment and critique! Thanks for a great website/resource!

To hard to tell by the pics if the clutch is contaminated, but the fly wheel and PP look bad. Knowing that you replaced the clutch and PP, theres no worries there. But did you clean up or have the flywheel turned?

When I replaced all that on my T-Wagon recently, I took my angle grinder and put a 120 grit disc on and hit the fly wheel with it. Did a fair job and the clutch doesnt grab, chatter or slip.

Btw, thats a great price on the alt.

Rob, Thanks for the reply!

I got the flywheel from Schucks. They had it for a compelling price of $35. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of work on the flywheel. Everything bolted up correctly.

I agree about the price of the alternator! I was getting sick of having issues with low voltage while sitting in traffic during the snow storms recently. I had to turn off my radio, blower fans and headlights to make sure that the alternator would keep up with the rear defroster! I want to get the car solid before messing with the alternator. Just a dremel job, pulley swap and bingo.

Looks like a mix of oil, water, and excess slippage.

Did you have any of the plugs or covers off the bellhousing? If you didn't replace them, I would expect more of the same before too long.

The top inspection plug went AWOL a while ago. However, there has not been much that fell in there since the area around it was pretty clean. I have had major oil leak from the front crankshaft seal for about as long as I have owned it (1+ year). The oil leaking off the front of the engine definately got blown back into the flywheel area. Hence the oil. I will replace the top plug as well as a new one to cover the hole I used for the punch in the flywheel trick.

Water could have intruded into the area from all of the snow I drove over...LOL!

Slippage. Definately. The Light Truck tires I have give me great traction. I was fighting those while drifting. I would go on and off the throttle to keep the sideways action going. So, the weak point IMHO is the clutch. It shows... Next time I go drifting I will make sure to have tires with less traction.

Great info guys! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Progress report

The car made it up to Whistler and back without much drama. Clutch held up good with 4 people, 3 skis, 1 snowboard, luggage and gear. The oil went down a tad bit but not to the extent as before the reseal. It must be leaking internally (maybe the valve stems) because I don't see an leakage anywhere (externally).

Didn't have time to Seafoam the intake. I did dump some in the gas tank, though.