Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT 4EAT into a GL?

Does anyone know if an 89-91 XT automatic will replace the 4EAT in my 89Fulltime 4wd GL turbo? Both are 4spds, AWD. I think. did the 4cyl xt these years have a 3spd pt?

Things I've considered:

Does the XT use the same shifter setup? D-3-2 with 1st hold switch? or is it like a legacy, D-3-2-1?

XT is shorter, is the tranny shorter? I wouldn't think so but I am tryin to make sure.

gear ratio. My car has 3.7 rear end. Will the XT tranny match this?

And finally, TCU compatibility? this one I'm not so worried, as long as it has the same internals and electrical controls the TCU should be able to manage it.

Looking at the 3AT in my GL, and the 4EAT in my XT6, they've got a noticable difference in size, so you should start there... you'll be able to tell.

My GL's shifter setup is P,R,N,D,3,2 while my XT6 is the same, except it has a separate button for 1st.

If it IS a 3AT... I'd look for another tranny... especially if the fluid is already burnt up... just my opinion :-\

my understanding is, other than the different bellhousing used for the EA series engines, the 4EAT that went into ANY GL body style car is virtually identical even to the modern 4EATs in the newer legacy's etc.

In other words, from the 80's through the 90's, there is basically only ONE 4EAT. so, yah. :banana:

I don't know ANYTHING about this first-hand though.. All I know I have read here.. that being said, i *think* that the TCU should be a non-issue. the fact that one car was a turbo and the other car was not (correct?) may be an issue, it may not. Chances are, you are in good shape though.. at most, it will probly be a matter of using the right TCU (probably the one already in your car.)

XT and GL have the same engine, so as long as it's a 4EAT trans which it should be in an 88+ XT it should be identical in every way. earlier XT's...say 87 and earlier i think are 3AT's...completely different POS. sounds like you're fine from what i'm reading.

there are differences in the EJ 4EAT's but they are similar. for one i don't think any have a 3.7 final drive that the EA series vehicles had. most EJ stuff is 3.9 and up.

Normally you would match the tcu to the box.internally early 4eat are the same ,the tcu changes were for the shifting characteristics.Yes if you already have a 4eat in there swapping in another from the same era or gen will work with your existing tcu.Yes watch the diff ratio.Also the 3at didn't use a tcu so it won't have the plugs on the box.I've got a sweet running 4eat running a different tcu and vtd rear transfer but it took a bit R and R to get going.