Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL-10 Turbo Sedan fuel problems

Well, it ran perfectly fine the last time I fired it up a month or so ago, but last weekend I fired it up and tried to move it out of the garage so I could swap the struts out in Jessica's Impreza the darn thing ran like crap. It would idle, for about 10 seconds before it would die, I eventually got it to run someone decently at idle, and with a little bit of throttle. Opening the throttle caused it to fall on it's face, and sputter. it will run if you floor it but only got up to about 2500 RPM or so, and would die if you tried to make it move.

Today I checked the fuel pressure and I'm getting 15psi to the rail while cranking, and 20 psi if I just plugged the pressure gauge directly in to the fuel like that goes into the fuel filter. I couldn't get the clamp tight enough on the gauge so it leaked a little bit (Time to replace my cheap Harbor Freight gauge with a Snap-On). The fuel filter was replaced not that long ago mileage wise, but I put it in like 2 years ago.

Is friggin angering me since all this car needed was paint and it's ready to sell, now I gotta figure this out :-( If it's not the fuel filter, is there anything else I should check?

It is very likley that it is a filter.....But your fuel pressure readings are a little low. you should be pushing about 33 psi max. I am pretty sure that its 33. If u have a shop manul it should be in there. So you could have a pressure regulator problem. Id check the filter and check into the fuel pressure.

• 2 months later...

Well, it's finally fixed :D After replacing the plug wires and fuel filter, and cap and rotor, it still ran like crap.. That's when Dad told me that before it started running crappy, he was trying to put it in the garage, and the battery was dead, so he put the big 250A engine cranker/charger thing on it, and got it running but he said that the alternator charge wire started smoking so he jumped out and shut the charger off, and noticed it was running like crap...

So needless to say, don't use big unregulated battery charger/starters on a car with a dead battery, cuz it lets the magic smoke out of the ECU :dead:Luckily I had another one, plugged it in and in ran like a champ :D Plugged the old one back in, to make sure it was the ECU and not the coil, since we replaced the coil @ the same time, and it ran like crap again... So now it just needs paint and a windsheild and it'll be ready to sell :clap:

About time you lazy bum. Now get that Polara running and you'll be high rollin:lol:

I guess I neglected to state that in between there I've been working on other projects :-P And how long did it take you to get the RX running? And how short did it take you to blow it up :-P