Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission bolt pattern

Uberoo

I am trying to make an adapter for Ej-EA.Everytime I make one I start with the EJ it is always perfect.But my hangup happens when I try to do the 5sp DR side of things.For starters I don't have a bolt big enough to fill the bottom locating stud holes(the holes that are the same for both EJ and EA) so I cant get an accurite layout of where which holes are and what sizes they are-hard when you have ovel the holes with your jig saw and attempt to fill excess with putty that doesnt really stick well.So my Question is this: Does anyone have accurite layout of the holes on the tranny like bolt 1 is at X,Y bolt 2 is at X,y etc?OR even better accurite layout of hole centers and sizes for whole adapter plate?

Monstaru-My cardboard traceout I got while I was over there wasnt quite accurite enough.Im sure your plate is fine.Just the cardboard doesnt quite stay the same size...

I'm not sure if this will work since I haven't done the ej swap yet. But in other cases where I needed a pattern, I have put a light coat of panit on the surface to be copied, then press on a piece of paper or cardboard careful to not slide it around. When you pull it off you have the exact shape and size. Cut it out then flip it over and you have your pattern. ????

The way I done one with 12mm thick alloy plate was....

I got a thick piece of cardboard, cut a bit bit out of the center (kinda where the flywheel was going to go.) Then punched the two lower holes out for it using a EJ22 that was/is sitting in the shed.

Placed it over the EJ22 bellhousing, then used a hammer and tapped the cardboard around the outside of the engine bellhousing.

Then placed it on the EA trans (I used a 4sp for this, but I don't think it matters.) And don the same, but on the inside of the trans bellhousing. Then cut it out and marked the 4 other holes (2 for engine, 2 for trans) with a pencil.

Placed this on the plate of alloy and marked it out. Then cut the alloy out with the jig saw and a drill. Drilled out the other holes and threaded them, and after a little grinding to the gearbox it fitted right up.

I have pictures, and I will see if I can post them tomorrow, as it is now bed time here in Aus...

EDIT: Not sure if you wanted to know or not, but the bolts are all 12Mx1.25 thread..

Hope that has helped.

dirty bastard,

ingenius i say.

i just started making gaskets that way!(tapping with ballpeen)

The way I done one with 12mm thick alloy plate was....

I got a thick piece of cardboard, cut a bit bit out of the center (kinda where the flywheel was going to go.) Then punched the two lower holes out for it using a EJ22 that was/is sitting in the shed.

Placed it over the EJ22 bellhousing, then used a hammer and tapped the cardboard around the outside of the engine bellhousing.

Then placed it on the EA trans (I used a 4sp for this, but I don't think it matters.) And don the same, but on the inside of the trans bellhousing. Then cut it out and marked the 4 other holes (2 for engine, 2 for trans) with a pencil.

Placed this on the plate of alloy and marked it out. Then cut the alloy out with the jig saw and a drill. Drilled out the other holes and threaded them, and after a little grinding to the gearbox it fitted right up.

I have pictures, and I will see if I can post them tomorrow, as it is now bed time here in Aus...

EDIT: Not sure if you wanted to know or not, but the bolts are all 12Mx1.25 thread..

Hope that has helped.